Will you call youself Dr?

B

PS. My get a "grip comment" wasnt directed at the intial poster. It was in reference to the academic snobs (like my ex-supervisor) who insisted on being addressed as such even on things like internal emails, or memos that I would drop in his pigeon-hole.

Most annoyingly He would also cite his letters after his name for even trivial things e.g.

"Dear Milkman
From monday please can I have two pints of semi skimmed milk
Thank you
Dr Steven XXXXXXX BSc, MSc, PhD, DipP, Assoc (Psy)."

You can probably guess where some of my title related antipathy stems from.

S

ok i think that is a little excessive i wouldnt insist on being called Dr whatever when speaking to people etc just i feel after a lot of years studying i will be proud of my title.

B

i wouldnt do it to get other people to notice its for me because then when i see it i will be reminded of the reason for all this hard work and stress.

But arent there intrinsic reasons you did your PhD, that are more important to you (and more visible such as the weighty tome that is your thesis)? The love of the subject, the chance to be an expert?

Surely the title "Dr" is not the reason for all your hard work and huge achievement?

that's so funny Badhaircut. I'd love to see the Milkman's reply (even if it is made up). So, what would the milkman say in return?

S

of course i love the subject and cant imagine doing anything else. and if you think wanting to see my title Dr makes me shallow then fine just for me getting that title will be an achievement and something i never though i would get a few years ago.

H

I feel like slitting my wrists after reading badhaircuts posts.

I shall be in a state of total depression now until I finish my Phd. In fact why even bother to do a PhD, I should just jump off the nearest tall building.

B

H
I don't mean to depress you (or anyone else), but I do feel I have to be honest. This is because if someone was honest with me earlier, I may not have had such a time tackling the hurdles I now face. However, I concede my posts reflect a darker side to academia. I still feel we can change aspects of this through activism (if not me then others at least), so am not totally despairing.

Shellyanne.

I am not making a personal attack on you (or anyone else). I am certainly not calling you shallow (I dont think I do this on my posts, but if I do I apologise sincerely). What I am doing is stating a particular argument (that the initial poster alludes to) and always warmly welcome debate.

K

No,BHC, the title is not the reason for all the hard work - knowing I've done something that is beneficial and unique is the best feeling - but the title is sure as hell a well deserved "perk".

I use mine in academic circles, I'm proud to. And yes, it's on my bank cards. I have worked hard and been through a lot to get there, and produced a unique, fantastic piece of work. As Ann says, I don't insist on it. There have been occasions outside of academia when merely confuses people, like when I work with medics. If that's the case I put (and ask others to put) Kronk Kronkodile, PhD. Friends of mine in industry do this too, it sets them apart from others who have ordinary degrees. It's the highest degree you can get, in terms of academic effort and personal anxiety. I think we deserve to promote ourselves!

S

the day i get my PhD i shall cry i will be so happy.

I didn't really think about the "title" until recently when my credit card, a credit report and some formal letters arriving with the Dr title mysteriously in front of my name. It feels strange, I don't think I'll get used to it easily when (if) I pass my viva. I wouldn't want to use it. It sounds a bit pretentious and I don't respect the title for some reason

S

so does the title not mean anything to you personally?

J

I'm with Shelleyanne. If I get through the PhD I'm going to send a card to one of my old teachers, who told me I had no chance of passing my maths GCSE, signed Dr Juno

I expect the novelty wears off soon enough, but it must be nice to have that title. Although I also understand now where Badhaircut was coming from - apologies for sniping at you

S

im sure the novelty will wear off if i get it but i will enjoy the moment while it lasts.

P

Much to my annoyance, my bf already calls me Dr! (and im just finishing off my 1st year!)

shelleyanne, I assume that question was to me. Yes, the way you put it sounds better. The title doesn't mean anything to me. I have met some people with all types of titles, who didn't seem to deserve their titles. I guess this made me lose respect to the titles in general. I'm sure I will feel really honoured when I finish my PhD as it is hard work but I don't see myself adding the Dr title to my name. But who knows, it's easy to talk now.