Will you call youself Dr?

C

I think its a title to be proud of regardless, and you have worked darn hard for it too! However, it is not one i would enforce or make mandatory on a anyone or on the milk man in Badhaircuts case I think using it would give a sense of achievement, at least, after all the years of sweat! (namely; depression, anxiety, stress and loss of hair)

I for one will use mine, when i'm done that is

A

I'm with Kronkodile on this one, I work in an academic medical field so my business card says "Ann Surname PhD". That way, I'm not confusing anyone who might think I'm a medical doctor if they saw "Dr Ann Surname" but I am showing that I'm appropriately qualified to do my job.

D

Hecky yes!!! Like Pineapple my DH already calls me Dr anyway...ok ok he calls me doctor when we are being kinky and its examination time...ooopss that was too much information...anyway. Yes I will use the title I've worked for it and I have sacrificed one hell of a lot for it...But I won't insist on it being used beyone first meeting with anyone...I will also send it to the teachers who wrote me off at school ha ha ha...look where your negativity got me then!!!!

P

This is a bit off the point, but I was thinking about this the other day; the adverse labelling at school. I was always placed in the bottom set at school and was looked down on as someone who was very slow and unintelligent. I don't claim to be intelligent, or particuarly quick, but there low opinion of me hasn't stopped me from getting MSc degrees and a PhD! :D oooo I would LOVE to rub it in my old teachers and people who thought I was thick at school

J

hehe. I was in the bottom set for maths, and my school refused to enter me for my maths GCSE. I sat it at college after I left school (got a C; not fantastic, but still). It's just my maths teacher I'd like to rub it in with; my PhD requires me to use maths on a daily basis, and I rather like it these days.

S

i was made to stand in the corner at primary school for being finished first as the teacher didnt think it was normal.. at secondary my english teacher said i would never get anywhere with my handwriting so when i get my PhD they will all be getting a letter hehe.

B

Hypothesis: "A large factor for people doing a Phd is to show those that once mocked them as being thick/ no hopers, that they are not". Discuss.

PS. Was never called thick or hopeless, but was frequently called lazy. Do I qualify for the "Wait untill I tell Mrs So and So" Club?

L

I can't imagine that anyone would be able to sustain the levels of hard work and dedication to complete a PhD if driven only by the motivation of saying, ha ha, look at me!
I don't think there is anything wrong in being proud of your own achievements, and if they have come in spite of negativity from others, then again, why not be pleased?
As for the comparison that was drawn to being called 'Lord', surely the point is that you can be born into a title like that, but to gain the title of Dr (or PhD for sake of argument), it requires a helluva lot of hard work and isn't something that can be inherited.

L

And BHC, if you want to turn around and say, HA! I'm not lazy!, then go for it, and be proud that you are not.
And yes, I'm more than aware that you are being sarcastic!

A

Although not my reason for doing a PhD, a perk is getting the title Dr to avoid the miss/ms/mrs dilemma (for those occasions where a title is required)

P

Along the same line as the milkman message, the Dad of a friend of mine did his PhD when he was about 50 years old. That was unfortunate timing, because it coincided with his mid-life crisis, which he overcame by turning from a normal, Dad-like, family-orientated kind of man into a pompous git. When he rang the local take away pizza shop to order pizza, he insisted on placing the order under his full name and title. When he went to collect his pizza, he wouldn't respond until the 15 year old behind the counter called out his full name and title. In that situation, I can understand people rolling their eyes at PhD-holders.

D

Heh, I like all the eyelids idea :)
I am so far from even thinking about the completion, so who know. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. The time will show (provided I last this long).

L

Hell yeah!!! That is if I ever manage to get it finished. I'm going to change all my bills and credit cards to say Dr, then whenever I introduce myself I will say I'm Dr . I will throw it into everyones faces. Even my family will have to call me by my title

D

Don't start my PhD until October but I'm with all those who will use the title - you deserve to. I find it particularly satisfying when those with a PhD are from working class backgrounds (still a bit of a lefty...). My dad was a lorry driver and he'll insist on me using the title when (and if) I complete.

L

dpa9966 - ditto!
In fact, I think my family won't allow anything else!!