AHRC DOCTORAL FUNDING OPEN STUDENTSHIP COMP

I

Mookie,
Thank you for all your work on that, it has tickled me! Pretty soon the days spent trawling the web searching for AHRC statistics (yes, I do know that you will have tried EVERY search possible to throw up anything on AHRC...I certainly have!) will soon be over....
Hopefully for the better!!!

Why, (!) do we hope to get the funding, only to get sucked in further....We must be mad!

M

======= Date Modified 04 Aug 2009 16:01:47 =======
Mookie's maths seems fine, as long as the number of 70 is correct for RO's. All 5 applicants for my university were for the doctoral award too, so I would guesstimate the odds are around 1 in 4. Last year it was roughly 1 in 3 right? However, that takes into account all the established universities now assigned to block grants. I'd personally prefer 1 in 4 this year compared to 1 in 3 for last year, especially with all the highly regarded music-specific colleges/universities out of my way.

M

1 in 4 sounds a reasonable guesstimate.

I don't think all RO's will submit - some might not even be eligible (I don't think it's an automatic right: the RO has to apply and be assessed for suitability and then allocated a number of applications).

There is a notable absence of internet chatter about things this year, for what it's worth!

I was incredibly nonchalant about the whole thing after all the anxiety attempting to put together as strong an application as possible back in March/ April/ May. It's really beginning to hit home now though.... I have to say my institution were very supportive: obviously it's in their interests to do well, as I believe the allocations for next years open competition will be based (in part) on the results of this year. I could be wrong though - I know the BGP are fixed for the next five years.

Anyhow, the bank just whacked a whole bunch of charges on my graduate account and credit card too which gives me something more immediate to worry about. Ah, the joys..

- M.

H

Good number crunching! Yep, my Uni was capped at 5 and submitted all doctoral bids too. Even 7:1 is better than the million to one shot that it feels like at the moment! Fingers crossed for all of us.....

M

Yes, our Uni capped it at 5 too, and we are quite large. It seems that 5 is the cap across all universities entering students for the SC, regardless of size. Call me an optimist, but I have become quite hopeful, I really think we have a better chance than previous years. I going for History, but feeling everyone's pain. Good luck to you all... I really hope the best proposals get the funding that they deserve!

H

A 'widespread postal strike' (source: BBC News)? That's all we need! I'm assuming nobody else has had any news yet? Nothing here, although I've had no mail at all for four days and am staring to wonder if my postbox is nailed up!

ESRC people are getting their outcomes now, wish the AHRC would hurry up - felt hopeful after Mookie's calculations but am starting to feel despondent again as the news-less days tick by!

Also, wondering if anybody knows if their RO put forward any MA proposals? I notice that the AHRC says it intends to divide the 40 non subject specific awards equally over MAs and PhDs.

I

Hi hopeful3
I've had mail delivered today but nothing (as usual!!!) from AHRC.
I have actually just found another Uni which is advertising a new phd funded position available in my subject, due to start in October.
It's a bit of a dilemma though, I'd far rather get the AHRC funding and go to my first-choice Uni, and also don't know how I'd be viewed considering I'm still potentially waiting for AHRC....

I do know of one application at my Uni which was masters level, but not sure about the rest.
What subject area is yours hopeful 3? Mine is English language / linguistics.

M

Hi there,

Nothing here yet. Lets face it, it's going to be week after next... I know this is the likelihood, yet why am I checking the mail 3-4 times a morning?

I've even turned down an opportunity to go away this weekend because I'd miss Saturday and Monday's post. I need therapy. I am sooo OCD with this...

- M.

PS Even thought there are more Master's awards, I suspect most RO's will have submitted doctoral applications in the main. They are "high value" in a number of different ways.

M

PS Imposter I'd definitely explore that other opportunity - if there are options available, keep them open.

I don't think you'd be treated much differently for having an AHRC app. in - assuming its a broadly similar research project. Even if not you have nothing to lose for enquiring and even submitting an application.

- M.

H

Hey,

Imposter - You should definitely inquire about the other opportunity you mentioned - I would but am a bit stuck as I am already one year (part time study with full time job, not good) into my PhD. My PhD is English Lit (but also a bit of linguistics/language in there as it is to do with dialogue analysis in novels)

Mookie - Go away this weekend! I agree, I imagine we'll be looking at the w/b 17th Aug - the waiting is interminable - so a weekend away is just what you need to take your mind of it, as much as that is possible, at least......I'm off to a wedding and intend to drink the free champagne dry in a bid to wipe the letters A, H, R and C off my brain.

M

100% Go away! Really don't see us getting anything much before a few days before the 21st, unless some kind soul at the AHRC is reading this and would like to be kind to us :) It funny, this one letter will make this a summer to remember, be it for the right or wrong reason. As long as you know you have put in the best proposal that you possibly could, then you just have to be positive. Its tough though.. but its the only way of not going mad!

M

======= Date Modified 06 Aug 2009 17:43:05 =======
Thanks for the encouragement!

It's not the *only* reason I'm not going - I can't really afford it at the moment. I'm also going through a bit of a purple patch in my research, so it's nice to be squirrelled away. Plus partner is coming over on Saturday - always a good incentive. Mind you, I just heard the weather forecast...

I was thinking of contacting the AHRC and enquiring about time-scales and if the possible postal strikes will be factored into things. But I have a feeling it would be a waste of time.

Ho hum. Haven't any of our colleagues in the natural sciences discovered time-travel yet? With all that funding, they flippin' well should have..!

- M.

M

It may be a waste of time... But any news on time scales would be good right now!

M

======= Date Modified 07 Aug 2009 15:21:27 =======
======= Date Modified 07 Aug 2009 15:21:05 =======
Well, I got rejected for the open competition. The letter was dated the 5th and it arrived today.

Last year, with grading going from 1-7 with 1 the highest, I received a "Grade 3: Excellent application, high priority for an award". This year, with grades 1-6 with 6 being the highest, I received an overall grade 3 with grade 3 for Student and Study and grade 3 for Training and Environment. Apparently, it was a satisfactory proposal, not recommended for funding. Ouch... going backwards after 12 months of study.

Edited to correct terrible spelling of the word 'recommended'. 8-)

M

Mine arrived today also - unsuccessful. Threes all round for me.

Disappointed, but good to know now - at least can begin to make alternative plans, which basically just means carrying on part time.

Sorry to hear Mcneilis - keep your chin up!

- M.