Waiting for AHRC news

E

Hello all, I discovered this forum on the weekend and it has kept me from going totally mad with the wait. I'm a panel 2 phd at the end of my first year. This is my second time round because last year my uni made a major error with my application that rendered it invalid and it wasn't even seen by the panel. I've been saying I won't ring the AHRC to find out, and very very wierdly I just recieved an email from them. They wanted to know the address to send my result to - they have the form, they can see it there. Its typed so its not as if my handwriting is illegible. I told them the ideal address was my email address to put me out of my misery, if not to tell me when I should expect my snail mailed results. Shall update with any further news as to whether I can convince an email response from them. In the meantime, my fingers are crossed for everyone in this horrible situation. I really feel for anyone trying to write at the moment, I have a paper that I am delivering at a conference in two weeks and I am so distracted nothing coherent is actually possible.

B

hi elusive- i'm in the same position as my PR form wasn't sent last year although that was my fault, not the uni. However, the ahrc, bless them, hadn't told me my application was deemed ineligible so i was sat there waiting, checking the post for nothing! I think there were a few of us who that had happened to, which is why they changed the DR/PR forms process this year so please don't worry if you're reading this. I keep thinking that this year can only be an improvement in that at least my form's been read by someone, somewhere!

R

nothing for me today,
anyone else have any more luck?

G

Nope, nothing. Starting to envy the people who had the bad news early on....

P

Hang on in there Soarous and GoingNuts! I've been reading this thread since it started back in July and have been silently sharing the highs and the lows with you all. I'm waiting on news from panel 8 (doctoral) and am mostly managing to stay calm (a great improvement from last years hysterical post-vigils). Last year I didn't hear until quite late on in August, but I've got my fingers crossed that (given the slash in applications they've received this year) they'll get the news to us sooner than that... I'm working on the premise that a little optimism never hurt anyone. Not much, anyway.

Anyway, best of luck to those still waiting.

Incidentally - which panels are people still waiting to hear from?

G

You're absolutely right Pallas. I'm waiting for panel 4 by the way. I think the thing thats irritating me most is that my letter was generated early last week but nobody can tell me when it will be sent!!! It's frustrating and very confusing.

B

I'm still waiting for panel 4 (doctoral) as well. :-(

W

i'm panel 8 too Pallas, philosophy. i'll soon be ringing them for the third day in the row, since my partner doesnt want to start attending interviews for jobs in the area until she knows my letter has at least been generated! so thats an extra stress!

G

BobNic!!! Forgot you were panel 4 too!!! Emailed the head of postgraduate dept yesterday there has been little news so far from panel 4- so there are still quite a few of us out there still waiting. But for how long? The plot thickens....

R

Panel 7 for me, looks like quite a spread of people still waiting...

P

GoingNuts - what a terrible position to be in. I can't believe the incompetency of the AHRC, each year you think it can't get much worse, and then, amazingly, it does. And WanWan, eek, that does sound pretty stressful. I suppose you could always tell your partner that they could go to the interviews and if successful accept or turn down in light of AHRC results later... If you put your life on hold because of the AHRC, things will start to feel worse and more unmanageable, besides, with the aforementioned incompetency, it might never get going again. No, only joking (remembering the optimism vow). I rang yesterday and the woman refused to tell me absolutely anything apart from the usual, ring back at the end of August if you've still not heard. She also said not to worry because they haven't printed off all the letters yet (?). I wasn't sure how to take that, so I'm just disregarding it...

G

Blimey, what have they got a (and I mean one!) 1970s dot matrix printer or what???? Or are they writing the letters by hand??? I think you're right its best to disregard everything they say.

I

Panel 5 for me. Having been told yesterday that my letter hadn't even been generated yet, I'm enjoying my first panic-free morning in a while!

L

======= Date Modified 20 Aug 2008 12:14:13 =======
Hello all,

Post just arrived and nothing for me today - I am waiting for Panel 1

G

Welcome to the madhouse Lucia!:-)