Waiting for AHRC news

M

The most annoying thing of all happened today - we didn't actually get ANY post, so I've waited all morning to hear nowt. A little part of me expected to hear something today... but no. It's going to be a loooong weekend.

Congratulations Lucia! Excellent news! And I am sorry wanwan, I am glad you have other options but I know it's still disappointing. xx

G

Congrats soarous & lucia I'm really pleased for you! Sorry about your bad news wanwan it must be really frustrating. I've heard nothing,again! Luckily I've got the hangover from hell, decided to blow off the cobwebs last night and I'm paying for it now. At least its given me a break from AHRC anxiety but I wouldn't recommend it as a coping strategy!

S

Brilliant new Lucia :-) Really pleased for you! Do I take it that you have already completed one year of your Phd if you're funded for two years? That is great news!

Wanwan, I'm soooooo sorry :-( I'm glad you can continue, but getting that letter really is the pits. It does sometimes seem so unfair. Not taking anything at all from those who've been successful of course, but the cut in funding this year has meant that so many more really excellent students have been dropped in the brown stuff from a great height :-(

R

Thanks for all the support guys, it's quiet touching. I'm sorry not everyone can get it and hope that this long weekend goes quickly for those still on the awful wait.

If it's any consolation the rumours of the AHRC favouring cross-diciplinary subjects, and those that are linked into money-making entertainment industries ring true with my application. I'm not complaining, but I imagine I ticked their boxes, rather than stood out on academic merit.

L

======= Date Modified 22 Aug 2008 14:57:04 =======
Hi Stressed,

No I am not doing a Phd, I am doing a two year Research Preparation Master's course. So I am really really lucky to have to got the funding.

Good luck everyone else who is still waiting.

S

That is brilliant Lucia - really pleased for you!!! What a result!!

S

Soarus, don't do yourself down - you ticked their boxes yes, but you also had to stand out academically in the first place to get as far as the competition, and no matter how many boxes you ticked, if they didn't consider you a solid cert to do well they wouldn't be piling oodles of cash on you8-) Well done, please have a drink on me lol when you're celebrating!!

B

Congrats to Soarus and Lucia - great news!

nothing for me today, ho hum :(

P

======= Date Modified 23 Aug 2008 09:48:03 =======
Post's just been and I GOT IT!!!!!! I can't believe it I'm absolutely walking on air, as it was my last chance.

It was panel 8, philosophy, PhD, dated 21st August.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

S

Congrats Pallas, that's really good to hear :-) Hope you get to celebrate this weekend!

G

Well done Pallas!
Nothing for me again. Feeling really upset today the wait is killing me. Lack of sleep has made me a nervous wreck and the thought of waiting until after the bank holiday for my letter is more than I can cope with at the moment. Regardless of whether you've got an award or not I think we've all been treated disgracefully for having to wait so long for the AHRC to put a bloody letter in a bloody envelope!
Sorry for the moan guys!!!!

S

Moan away GoingNuts - you know we all agree with you 100%!!! All I can say is that thank God the situation should change next year - the way it is now is just pathetic, there's simply no excuse for it. They've had the damned applications since the beginning of May and the PR and DR forms since June - its now the last week of August - ludicrous!! They must understand that we have lives to plan and sort out - courses to accept, houses etc etc etc - it simply puts those who are gifted enough to be able to apply at a huge disadvantage to everyone else and that is not fair! It ruins the summer, a month of our lives down the toilet - its just not on!

G

======= Date Modified 26 Aug 2008 13:32:10 =======
Thanks Stressed its so good to know there are people out there who understand. I can take the decision whatever it is, its the not knowing thats so infuriating.

L

That's brilliant news, well done Pallas :-).

I completely agree with you GoingNuts, the wait is terrible. I don't understand why they don't send all the letters out on the same day. I have got hardly any work done over the last week and a half, I have not been able to concentrate. I was getting myself so stressed over the wait.

S

This is what bothers me so much - many of us are busy completing our dissertations due for submission in the next 3 or 4 weeks! I'm not sure what conditions the lovely AHRC place on those they give awards to who are completing their MA at present, but with all the stress and worry there is a very real chance that they may not be what they could have been! Had they got these stupid results out earlier then there would be time afterwards to get your head together, whether successful or not, and turn out your best work rather than spending a month hardly able to concentrate due to anxiety. I feel very concerned that those of us who are 'lucky' enough to be considered are actually damaged by it through the wait and the way its done. They should all come out together, very quickly, no messing, no fuss. Its all just wrong!