Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

accepting a PhD then turning it down months later

G

Is this possible? Has anyone done it? I'm applying for PhDs but also clinical science, but the interviews aren't til May so I won't know til then if I get on the scheme, but I would hopefully ahve secured a PhD by then...........

A

I did that very thing. I had lots of PhDs that I applied for and wanted to do but obviously had a favourite. Got an offer I wanted in January last year and accepted. I would have done it too as it was a great PhD. In June I finally got the one I was hoping for so I emailed the first one then to say I wouldn't take it after all. I know it's a crappy thing to do but it's your future, do what's best for you, after all the people who offer the PhDs are only doing what's best for them.

I

Adem, true - but a lot of people here are quick to say that the academic community is pretty well-knit, and I'd be worried doing something like that will instantly give you a bad name :s Is that not a problem?

A

I don't think so. Those that offer the studentships have been through the system themselves and know what it's like. They too were faced with the same problems. That's why I also believe that when they ask if you applied elsewhere you should be honest and say yes. A simple explanation, although a little akward, is sufficient if you do decide to opt out of a position you agreed to take. It is an understandable thing to do. If it wasn't possible they would make you sign contracts upon agreement. As it is that is put off until you actually turn up or the week before. Having said that, you should always be fair. Don't get loads of offers and wait until the last minute to tell 4 different labs that you changed your mind.

M

Ok, here's my story. I got offered a PhD last January at Bristol. Turned it down (didn't accept at all) a week later.

Then, in April, got offered another one, in Sheffield. Accepted that. However, I was rather ill over the summer, especially towards the end of summer, and realised that I was in no fit state to do the PhD, so withdrew. The PhD was supposed to start in the last week of September, and I withdrew about 4 days before. There were two supervisors - was was extremely disappointed but wished me luck with the future, and one said that my decision was disgraceful - having said that, I didn't give them the full story about the illness as I didn't really want to.

I think the point about the tight knit community isn't a problem here, as if you withdraw it'll be because you have a place on another course. If I were you, I'd apply for the PhD and the clinical courses, and see what happens.

A

To be fair, giving 4 days notice is a bit pants. At least give them time to find a replacement!

M

I quite agree Adem - indeed, from the information I gave them, they didn't really have any notion that I'd turned it down as anything more than a whim. But I felt the decision was the right one, and I think that if I'd started the PhD, I'd only have ended up quitting a few months later. Rock and a hard place really.

T

Academics are only really close-knit in terms of field, so you could probably get away with it unless the two PhDs are very similar, or in the same Department!

S

only accept a Phd unless your really interested in doing that project and could see yourself doing it as a career, not as a back up for your other pathway. depending on how late you tell them you no longwer want it will depend on the response. some places will have secured funding and may lose it entirely for that year. in the field i work in its likely someone somewhere would find out one day but if you change field then that wont matter!

M

True Shellyanne, but I have two problems with what you say. First, there's always bound to be some people who accept something, and then get the chance of something better for them. Are you saying that they shoulnd't accept a better project if they've already got a place? Second, some people are interested in more than one narrow area, and so it's hard for them to know whether something they find is the best they're likely to get. It's obviously not helped by the fact that PhD's can be advertised all year round.

One final point - is it worth "sticking to morals" and doing something for 3 or 4 years, and which in all likelihood will have a significant impact on your future career, when something which you would prefer is available?

Sounds selfish I know, but isn't that the way it has to be?

S

i agree with that it has to be generally accepted if someone gets better offer then they will turn down the previous one. more i just think if yours hearts not set on a Phd (i.e accept it as a backup) until the job offer you want arrives, its not really fair to apply in the first place. not that thats what im saying groovie girlie is saying.. i just mean generally..

A

Some users here appear to have a "Don't hate the player, hate the game" attitude.

For me it's just bad manners, though..

If you start tricking people you'll loose, sooner or later.

M

I agree in principle, Apollo. However, academia is often described as cut-throat, with people trying to get research published before others do the same, and even people publishing work to try to discredit other's work. Isn't this just the same thing - not liking the game, but playing it anyway?

R

I started on October and my supervisors are well aware I am not happy, but seem quite happy for me to leave. I was told my supervisor would write references whilst I am deciding what to do. Given I have insulted my supervisors and department and am not fulfilling their expectations, I think they would be quite pleased to see the back of me. As for impact for the future, I don't think it matters since I will not be pursuing a PhD again. All that makes me a little sad is that I promised at my interview not to turn around months later and start looking for jobs, as I am doing. I am sure they realise it is for the best though.