Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Best way to do thesis appendices

T

Hello all

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do my thesis appendices. There are a variety of materials I need to present, eg. ethics letters, worksheets. I am thinking I could convert them all to a particular format and copy and paste them in. Any advice on which format works best? I.e., will be good quality even when you zoom in and won't slow down my whole word document and make it freeze (I am still writing other parts of the thesis). Just thought I might be able to get some tips from those who have been there before me!

Cheers
Tudor

E

Hi. I wonder how far are you into writing? If not so much, I would highly recommend to learn LATEX and rewrite the sections you did in Word. LATEX can also makes you crazy but Word will definitely drive you crazy. In LATEX, adding and removing figures "almost" does not affect the previous and next section. In Word, you know.
If you are going to use Word anyway, of course the best is to write the appendices in Word text. If not, paste as picture is not too bad. I would also agree with you to combine them to minimise the risk of shifting in the documents.

P

eng77, I suspect TQ is already well into the writeup so a change to something like Latex would probably not be a good idea.
Having said that, apart from the formatting of tables, Latex didn't give me any problems once I went through the anguish of getting hold of a good template and learned the basics. I would have hated doing a science thesis full of maths using anything else though.

E

@pm133, you have accurately described the two major drawbacks of lyrics: formatting tables and "anguish of getting hold of a good template and learned the basics". I remember now why I am still not a big fan of Latex.

T

Thanks everyone. I am already well into the thesis using Word, as pm133 suspected.

P

@eng77 the thing is that when it comes to presenting maths, figures, and general text typesetting, nothing comes close to Latex. Word has always been a nightmare for anything more complicated than a letter.

Anyway, sorry TQ, I'm afraid I have no advice for you on this :-(
Word is supposed to easily deal with all of this but I suspect if you cut and paste it will drag in a whole load of template/style/theme tags as well and completely wreck your document.

T

Cheers all!