Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD Corrections after Viva.

T

Hi there,
I have just submitted by thesis. I was just wondering if people could please post here any examples of Corrections they got to do after the viva? I'm worried that there are a few errors in my thesis.
Many thank!
T.

T

Hi Tenacity, I recieved the following corrections: 12 typos (I did send a list of typos to my examiners before the viva so the 12 were the ones I did not find), take one appendix out and put in the main thesis, add a clear set of recomendations, add three aspects to the final reflection, and add about 10 para throughout. I was given all of them at the end of the viva, my external offered to go through them, which I turned down because I was in shock that I had passed! Took me about three days to do them and have them agreed with my supervisor. It then took a day to sort all the page numbers out!!! Viva 10 December, corrections to external in January, agreed over a weekend, printed, bound and couriered the thesis to the uni and I recieved my formal confirmation last Monday. Bank cards changed to Dr already!!!

T

Congratulations! Thanks for your reply. I just had a peak at my thesis and spotted a couple of paragraphs unjustified, an underlined full stop, one highlighted footnote with a page number missing, and a couple of typos. I think there are quite possibly more than 12 typos. Do you know how many typos it would take to actually fail? I am happy with my content and arguments. It was just such a panic to meet the deadline that I did not get to check through everything.

C

I'm sure you won't fail just for typos :-)

C

======= Date Modified 15 Feb 2010 14:56:49 =======
A thesis would not be failed for typos, but they would have to be corrected and scores of errors would hardly impress the examiners. Of course there is a big difference between typos and odd bits of punctuation - to excessive poor use of language, bad grammar, and mistakes that interfere with understanding. This can be bad enough to fail, but only normally when English is a foreign language.

edited for a typo ;)

D

I had a list of about a dozen typos, about half a dozen sentences that needed altering as they weren't clear and then one section they wanted me to develop (very minor - I looked at extremes and they wanted to know what happened in the middle!)

Don't worry about errors, with the best will in the world there will always be a few.