Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Viva countdown- three weeks today

P

======= Date Modified 11 Mar 2011 10:36:32 =======
Arrrrghhhhhh!!!

My viva will take place three weeks from today- eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! OMG- I'm running out of time :(

Working through each of my chapters, I'm working on three documents....

1. Document 1- Specific viva questions on each chapter- ie why did you use this approach, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this method, why did you focus only on older people in your qualitative chapter etc etc.

Last week I collected piles of research papers written by my internal and external examiners. Following from their work, I've devised a list of questions that they could potentially ask me on specific parts of my thesis. I've discovered that both examiners used similar methods to me- so I'm trying to pull together how I could improve my chapters on the basis of their publications. These specific questions are a little scary though- but these questions are helping me think about formulating responses.

2. Document 2- Acknowledged limitations and omissions on each chapter- ie typos, missed references and references since my literature review.

I've been thinking about this document for months- ie thinking about my limitations and my many many typos and errors.

3. Document 3- General viva questions- Bilbo et al viva questions

Again, I've spent some time thinking about this- ie my contribution to knowledge, strengths of my thesis, hindsight type questions etc etc etc.

For post-viva people, do you think I'm on the right track with my viva prep?

PS- My stomach is really starting to flip! I feel sick!! Lord knows how I'm going to feel a few days before the viva! BUT, I can see the strengths of my work in relation to studies within this field. I'm just hoping all my work will result into a favourable outcome (ie resubmission) and not the dreaded MPhil.

L

Hi Pineapple

It sounds like you are doing great with the preparation so don't worry!

Mine is 2 weeks today! I have been incredibly anxious but feel miles better now - mostly from chatting to other people who have done vivas and realising that actually most (or a least a lot) of the questions will be things that you just know because you did the work, some questions you would never be able to predict being asked and will have to do your best to make an educated answer or say 'sorry I don't know that area but that is interesting and I will look into that', and just a few will be things that you actually prepare for. I think it is a good idea to do preparation though so that you feel more confident.

So far I have written about 20 specific questions and answers - some of which my sup pointed out as possible viva questions as he was looking at my thesis. I have also done 8 general questions but planning on doing more. I have read articles by my internal and external, read a book on the viva and been on a half day course, and read up on the stats I have used. This weekend I am going to read half my thesis and write a summary on each chapter, and write down typos as well as do some more general questions, and next weekend I will do the other half of the thesis. In the eves next week I am going to re-read my key papers (I work FT).

I really can't wait for it to be over...

Good Luck!

C

Pineapple29

Had my viva a week ago, starting to sink in now.. minor corrections nearly done. :-)

Your preparation sounds fantastic. You are absolutely spot on.

Only thing i would say is... make sure you think about your positives too. Sell yourself and your thesis and be prepared to defend your argument. Be Up For It is the best advice i can give. Acknowledge this and that could have been done differently but defend why you did it your way.

All the best. Chuff

H

You sound like you are well-prepared! :)

Let us know how it goes! :)

C

Good luck! It sounds like you've done a lot of preparation already, so with three weeks to go I think you've got plenty of time to be very well prepared in your viva. :-) I'm waiting for my viva at the moment, and I find it very hard reading the thesis again - every time I do I keep seeing mistakes! But I've made a start at summarising the thesis and writing down the references I've cited in each chapter. Lot's more for me to do though..