Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What notice does associate lecturer (UK hourly paid) have to give?

G

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I have a quick question, because i can't find the info on my institution's website and the HR dept are still closed for the hols / not answering the phone.

I'm looking to apply for a more permanent position than my current hourly paid associate lecturer job, but can't find how much notice I'd have to give - do any of you have any info or experience on this?

Thanks in advance
G

H

If you were on an annual contract I'd say 2-3 months. Not sure how it works for hourly rates. If you signed a contract it might be on there, but I realise that not all such positions are contracted. That being the case I'd imagine the notice period should be short.

However, this shouldn't affect jobs you've not yet applied for. Even if they say 'immediate start' there's usually a bit of wiggle room and also there can be up to a month between application deadlines and interviews/offers. So I'd just apply for whatever takes your fancy, but do check out the position with HR when they re-open.

G

Quote From HazyJane:
If you were on an annual contract I'd say 2-3 months. Not sure how it works for hourly rates. If you signed a contract it might be on there, but I realise that not all such positions are contracted. That being the case I'd imagine the notice period should be short.

However, this shouldn't affect jobs you've not yet applied for. Even if they say 'immediate start' there's usually a bit of wiggle room and also there can be up to a month between application deadlines and interviews/offers. So I'd just apply for whatever takes your fancy, but do check out the position with HR when they re-open.

Hi HazyJane - that's great advice. Thanks very much for the reply. I really appreciate your help =D

I

It massively varies from university to university and depends on the nature of your contract (if you have one).

My Associate Lecturer post is fixed term for 2 years and my official notice period is a minimum of 3 months to include a full academic term. So, in theory, if I submitted my notice today I wouldn't be able to leave until the end of the Summer term which kinda sucks. Though, in my experience, managers can give permission for a shorter notice period than is required by the contract.

B

If you signed a contract with them it should definitely be there, if it is not and you are teaching a specific subject only, there would be a strong expectation that you teach the whole course (either the whole semester or the whole year).

G

Thanks both IntoTheSpiral and buru for your replies.

It seems highly variable for what you guys are saying. I have what is entitled a 'contract', but that only lists the hours that I will be paid for over the course of the year. There is no 'fine print' section with any info on notice etc. There is still no answer from the HR phone number so i'm guessing they're not back in the office til next week.

I've spoken to other more experienced lecturer friends about moving and they don't seem to think it'll be a problem to leave at any time given the (relatively poorly) hourly paid position, but again they say to double check what my notice period is.

The mystery continues...... but I really appreciate you all helping out with your info, so, again, thanks!

B

Glowworm - if you get offered any sort of more secure contract, take it. If you give a month's notice or even less, people will cope. If the uni is employing you on an insecure, poorly paid hourly contract basis then you really don't owe them any loyalty. Even if there is a longer notice period, which I expect there isn't, I'd never turn down a better job - let's face it, they can't really force you to work it. The only consideration I'd give is about whether you are burning any bridges that might hurt you down the line, so it is more tricky if you are doing a PhD at the institution in question, but generally look after your own interests first. No-one else will.
My hourly paid TA left us mid-term last year as she got a permanent non-academic full-time job and gave a week's notice. We'd found a replacement within 48 hours from ringing round the speculative cvs people had sent us. Yes it wasn't ideal but we managed. So long as you don't wander off without returning coursework most things are manageable. If universities don't want to be inconvenienced then they should treat their staff better!

B

Glowworm - if you get offered any sort of more secure contract, take it. If you give a month's notice or even less, people will cope. If the uni is employing you on an insecure, poorly paid hourly contract basis then you really don't owe them any loyalty. Even if there is a longer notice period, which I expect there isn't, I'd never turn down a better job - let's face it, they can't really force you to work it. The only consideration I'd give is about whether you are burning any bridges that might hurt you down the line, so it is more tricky if you are doing a PhD at the institution in question, but generally look after your own interests first. No-one else will.
My hourly paid TA left us mid-term last year as she got a permanent non-academic full-time job and gave a week's notice. We'd found a replacement within 48 hours from ringing round the speculative cvs people had sent us. Yes it wasn't ideal but we managed. So long as you don't wander off without returning coursework most things are manageable. If universities don't want to be inconvenienced then they should treat their staff better!

G

Quote From bewildered:
Glowworm - if you get offered any sort of more secure contract, take it. If you give a month's notice or even less, people will cope. If the uni is employing you on an insecure, poorly paid hourly contract basis then you really don't owe them any loyalty. ... If universities don't want to be inconvenienced then they should treat their staff better!

Thank you so much for this reply bewildered! This is exactly what my lecturer and professor friends have been saying to me. I've passed my viva and just submitted my corrections, so don't have those ties to my institution any more.

I'm really struggling to survive on what I'm currently being paid from the hourly work, and I'm putting in so many more hours than I'm being paid for because I want to do the best job possible and I care and respect my students. While it has been a useful stopgap while I did my corrections, I do also feel under-appreciated and a bit like I'm being taken advantage off - especially when I can't even afford to pay my bills and have had to get into more debt just to survive. I'd love to continue working where I am, but i just can't under the same circumstances with no certainty that I'll be kept on.

I really appreciate your frankness, and it's good to hear people, other than those around me, echoing the same sentiments.