Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What to do after your PhD?

H

What are you going to do after your PhD? How are you going to decide what to do? I am currently weighing up the options and opportunities that I have but I haven't made a decision yet.

I created a game to help me decide, you can play it here - http://sciencehastheanswer.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-to-do-after-phd.html :-):-)

P

======= Date Modified 13 Mar 2012 14:26:11 =======
I'm training to be a chartered health psychologist........alongside finishing my post viva thesis corrections.

I know quite a few people who went onto professional psychology training after a PhD.

H

There are so many different options available to people!! Would be good to get people sharing what ideas they have 8-)

Given the oversupply problems of PhD graduates out there compared to available suitable position, I think the last square of this says it all!!!

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net/phdgame.pdf

I note the ample opportunities to go to square 33 before you finish. :-)

D

Yes, square 45 is where I and many others on here reside. I've tried a number of options to remove myself from this esteemed place but to no avail. A PhD is a great career move - not (for many!)

M

======= Date Modified 13 Mar 2012 19:09:07 =======
hahahah, I was adviced to leave everything back and explore the world. Not a good advice for someone who must resubmit a thesis, I suppose :)

H

The bot knows the answer to your questions! I have never seen that PhD game before! Very funny!!

Have you all seen the PhD Movie? I saw it last night, I thought it was very funny!

S

Hi all! i dont post on here very often but now im in the final throws this forum is becoming quite a comfort!

ive got some options at the mo but cant really forge ahead until ive got the PhD 'ticket', which wont be until october. so for now i'm doing the following;

1. signing on! looking forward to seeing the confused look on the face of the job centre person when i show them my academic CV next week!
2. amending thesis chapters and getting submitted this July.
3. scoping out post-docs and other research/lecturing posts. dont know how well applications will go as theres loads of proper post-docs out there looking for jobs (ie. have their PhD awarded)
4. organising some voluntary hours with a clinical psychologist i work with, with intention of applying for professional doctorate later this year (once i have fully finished my PhD. applied this year and didnt get any interviews due to PhD being incomplete. Pants!)

2012 is sure shaping up to be a head-ache! hope everyone else having a better time of it than me. it will all be worth it in the end guys!

D

I'm with you there - I really hope it's worth it as I've given a lot to get this far and don't want to see all that effort and pain wasted!!!! Good luck to us all! I am ever the optimist!!! (up)8-):p

H

It's tough! But hopefully will be worth it in the end!!!