Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Will it ever be finished?!

G

Hello,

I've been reading the posts on the forum for some time now but have not posted myself. I guess that's because I always thought that I would pull myself out of whatever it is that I am feeling at the moment. I've struggled with trying to push on with the PhD at different stages throughout the PhD and managed to overcome them but I've been feeling like this for quite some time now and feel like the PhD (and me!) have now come to a complete standstill and hoped that someone may have some advice?

I went into the third year of my PhD studies at the end of September and have been attempting to begin the 'write up' for the last four weeks or so. The first year of my studies had their hiccups and I didn't particularly enjoy them but I got through them and threw myself head first into fieldwork in the second year. The second year flew by and I gathered some great data and formed the foundations for a strong thesis. Then third year hit and I have found myself doing anything other than actually writing the damn thing. I don't know if its a crisis of confidence or that I'm overwhelmed with the work ahead but I just can't seem to get myself into gear.

I've broken each chapter down into bullet points with what I'd like to put in them and I can (at times!) see the story from beginning to end that I am trying to tell but for some reason I just cant seem to get this down on paper. Throughout my undergrad and MA I always had too many words and found myself constantly having to cut down but now I can't seem to find my tongue or indeed my motivation at all. I find it really strange that this hurdle has hit me so hard as this is the last long hard slog before the finish line. I have so much to look forward to when it all ends - the possibility of travelling, to getting a 'real' job with some structure and some human contact and even the prospect of buying a new house but for some reason I just can't get going with it.

Everyday I promise myself that tomorrow will be different and that I'll make a dent in my chapter but hour by hour (and now day by day) goes by wasted. I know I need to give myself a good shake and get on with things but for some reason I'm finding it near on impossible to snap out of this state.

Quitting isn't an option, I've spent too long on it and I'm too near the end to walk away. I hope that this post will get things off my chest and give me the kick I need to get going but any advice from those who have managed to get to the end in one piece would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.

D

Hi Grit84, you are not alone with this crisis! I went through this last year when it was time to sit down and write up. Wow what an enormous task it seemed and how wonderfully urgent all of the other daily chores such as ironing seemed to become. I was pretty good at avoiding the long slog! In order to get through it I set up a chapter plan with further breakdowns within each chapter. From here the structure was formed. Next was to take a chapter section and draw a spider diagram linking all of the parts to be included in that section. Once my brain started to work on this very basic scribbling the text began to flow. Once you start to write keep it going daily if possible so that your writing is not interrupted by breaks. You will then find that you will be thinking about your next chapter or section while doing other menial tasks ie travelling and so the thesis will take shape. Don't worry about the number of words as editing is much easier once it is all down on paper! Once you have started the writing style will change as you progress through the chapters so when you go back to the first chapter you will edit it yourself! Remember, you have good data and you have got through these rough times before. There is every chance that you will succeed in your PhD, just go and write it!!

G

Thanks for your reply, just voicing it and hearing someone tell me that I'm not alone with this has helped alot already. Your advice sounds like something I'd like to give a try so thank you - that will be how I start things tomorrow. How are you getting on with the write up now?

D

Hi Grit84, I am a part-time student so the write-up for me extends over 18 months-ish. In the last year I have completed chapters 1-7 with just the final discussion to finish. I actually lost 5 months of the last year due to having twins lol, but I have kept going despite my changed circumctances and limitaion on study time. I am finding that some chapters flowed really well and this followed on into the next, brilliant! This last chapter is slower as I also lost my motivation but kept myself busy with other editing issues. It feels good to be this far through but also daunting that there is lots more to do with the editing and final layouts etc. Once the discussion is done the bulk is written! Looking back I am amazed that I have got this far as the thesis then seemed out of my reach.

Have a go at it tomorrow, it may be slow to get started but once you do you will get through it in no time. With good data it is much easier to write your thesis. Don't set yourself big goals as you will feel demoralised if they are not reached, instead give yourself a small task such as write a paragraph, or define the data to be presented etc. Perhaps start, not at the beginning, but at a part that interests you the most. Let us know how you get on.

S

Don't worry, it is completely normal to go through times like this. My friend and I call it 'The Fear'.

The important thing is not to think about the whole thing, just take it bit by bit. I think thinking about getting 'the whole story' down onto paper would stress me out too! Don't worry yet about your writing style. My supervisor told me a while ago that the only way to write a thesis is to accept that you will write a lot of crap to begin with, and this helped me a lot! Set a tomato timer and just work on one bullet point and write whatever comes into your head.

G

Dear Star-shaped, thanks for your post. Its great to hear that others have gone throught 'the fear' too! Your supervisors words are very reassuring too as the more I think about it I think I've scared myself into thinking it has to be perfect first time around and now, when I think about it logically, it's near on impossible to articulate exactly what I want to express word for word, hour by hour. Npw I think I am going to take the pressure off a little and just write - what's the worst that cam happen?! At least I won't be staring at the screen hoping the words will appear themselves! Thanks again!

C

Hi Grit84. I don't really have any advice because I'm in the same position.....except I'm actually in my 4th year! I really need to get motivation to write but at the moment I'm doing anything and everything instead. Not been well for last two weeks which doesn't help. I keep thinking "next week will be different"

P

Again, no advice, but I'm another one in the same position. So hopefully the fact that you are not alone will make you feel better!

G

Hi all, just posted a reply but it seems to have disappeared? Anyway, here goes again...
Thank you for your responses - wow, there really are a few of us in the same boat. As you know, I'm not really in a position to give advice but I really think that something has to 'click' in your own mind. Yesterday was my 'click' day and I realised that something had to give. I couldn't continue getting up each day with good intentions only to turn the computer off before bed having made no progress and feeling rubbish about it all. I knew that I had to do the work and as everyday slipped by I was making it harder but I just couldn't make myself do it. This is only day one of my new leaf so I'm not promising that everything is going to be rosy from now on but something has shifted mentally. Maybe, the relief of posting on here that everything actually wasn't alright and that it was time to take action has done the trick but I certainly feel less pressure today. I'm going to try and stop imposing extra pressure on myself by panicking about what I need to get done by the end of Nov, by Christmas etc and just take each day as it comes - fingers crossed! Its almost midday now and I've made 7 pages of notes ready to write them up after lunch....why I couldn'y have done that yesterday, or the day before, or the one before that is beyond me. It's great to speak with people who are going through it too as the effects of the PhD are certainly something alien to most and virtually impossible to explain to friends, family etc. I really hope that you guys get your 'click' day and that things fall into place. I don't know how long mine will last but better keep going just in case! Lets keep each other posted, it's done me the world of good hearing from you. I hope I can help you out of your black cloud too. Thanks again!