Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Need a clarificatiion on ECTS

Y

I think I already know the answer to this question, but thought to check just in case. A PhD program I am applying for has minimum requirements for ECTS. This is what it says:

'A masters degree worth 240 ECTS is required.'

This is an interesting choice of words. I am guessing what it means is my bachelors+masters should be worth at least 240 ECTS, right? Surely, they can't be asking people to somehow earn 240 ECTS only during their Masters.

I will appreciate any input on this. Thank you!

H

Hi,

It might be that they are asking for 240 ECTS from an integrated master's (a masters with outside assessed work attracts more credits). This may be a professional accreditation.

The following page from Imperial College has a bit about ECTS:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/our-degrees/ects/

Perhaps it could be worth asking the university to clarify.

B

A 2 year European masters has 240 ECTS. Sometimes they'll accept a UK 180 ECTS masters though - it's worth asking.

C

Quote From bewildered:
A 2 year European masters has 240 ECTS. Sometimes they'll accept a UK 180 ECTS masters though - it's worth asking.

Most UK one-year taught Master's have only 90 ECTS (180 UK Credits, and normally 10 UK credits = 5 ECTS). So not sure how that'll work.

B

yes sorry - ignore I forgot to divide by two. Then logically they might be referring to a four year undergraduate Masters as that's the only combo that would easily add up to 240 ECTS.