Figure/Diagram drawing software?

F

So I'm in the process of writing up my biomedical based lab project and am drawing up some figures and diagrams, I'm currently using photoshop but feel its a bit clunky and may not make high quality diagrams for presenting and printing.

I was just wondering what everyone else uses? Ive seen some really cool diagrams in papers and such but never known how they were drawn up!

S

Adobe Illustrator is the vector drawing package which accompanies photoshop - photoshop is really for rasters / photos.

The licencing cost is similar.... it is a top spec package, probably other things out there for cheaper.

W

I'd go with Invisio - I'm using it to do schematic drawings for my PhD. It's very easy to learn how to use it and quite intuitive. In fact, I've managed to knock out 4 complicated schematic diagrams today using it.

I

Invisio - not sure about it but Microsoft Visio is a very useful tool for digital drawings - adobe products are for advance and professional designers. I believe Microsoft Visio will work for you.

H

MS Visio gets a vote from me. However for all my diagrams in my thesis I used MS powerpoint. If they don't need to be so technical (to scale etc) then powerpoint is perfect.

W

Sorry for the confusion. I meant visio but was thinking about Nvivo at the same time :$

S

I just use microsoft powerpoint and irfanview :)

J

I like OmniGraffle... if you have a mac :p

Can't compare with Visio as I have never used it, but OG is much simpler to use than Illustrator. It might not have as much features, but for nice diagrams it's enough.

B

Creately is a good free-ish online tool for diagram purposes.

http://creately.com/