Have I screwed up my distinction chances?

M

I'm doing an MA and currently on a distinction. I'm working solely on the dissertation now, which is due on the final day of Sept (12-15000 words). I need to get a distinction in the dissertation to get one overall.

Having put myself in with a chance of getting this grade, I cant help but feel achieving anything less will be a failure. I'm just worried that its no longer attainable.

I've had since June to work on the dissertation, but have been hindered by a lingering problem with depression (impacting on my ability to concentrate + sleep disturbance), as well as the necessity of doing part time work (I was pretty skint), meaning that I now find myself with less and less available time.

I've done most of my reading, and still have to carry out the main part of my analysis. I've yet to start writing but intend to do so in the next few days. In the past i've been a good worker under pressure, kicking into action when the deadline is impending. I'm just worried that i've not left myself enough time this time round.

I was thinking of submitting a mitigating circumstances request (because of the depression), and i can get supporting evidence from a doctor, and a psychotherapist i've been seeing. I'm just worried this wont be well received given that I received a weeks extension for an essay earlier in the year, due to depression (its been an ongoing problem since then). I'm worried they might think i' m milking it (which i genuinely am not).

Regardless I'll endeavour to finish the project by the original deadline, and am comforted by the fact that 12k is a 'do-able' amount to write.

Thanks for reading and any advice provided:-)

D

There's certainly nothing wrong with doing so, the fact you were granted it before probably means they are quite aware of the problem and happy to do so.

I would, however, keep quiet about the part time work - it is almost never acceptable as a mitigating circumstance and may offset asking for extension due to depression.

M

Ok thanks for the reply. Yes I definitely wasn't planning on mentioning the work stuff regardless.

K

Hey! Well since the depression has been a genuine problem for you then I think it's a good idea to make the relevant people aware of it. Perhaps you can go see your tutor about getting an extension- I think they can usually suss out the genuine people from the ones who are milking it! I have bipolar disorder myself so I know how disruptive the depression can be. I have always been open with the university about my condition and they have been nothing but supportive, so I would advise you go speak to someone about it. Hopefully you'll be able to get an extension and that will take the pressure off a bit. Take good care of yourself too! Best, KB

M

Ok thanks for the reply. Im planning to email the course director early next week once my supporting evidence comes through. Do you think its possible to finish my dissertation in the remaining time?

K

Hey again! Personally I think you have plenty of time to get it finished to a good standard, but then we all work at different rates! I know when I was doing my MSc, once I had done my data analysis and most of the reading I knew pretty much what I wanted to say and it took me less than a month to complete the write-up. It was a little shorter than yours (10,000 words) but I did it in about 3 weeks and managed to get a distinction for it, so I think you've got enough time to do a really good job of it providing you feel well enough to get on with it! Good luck! KB

M

Ok thanks for the post, its reassuring to hear right now

J

the one thing I would say is make sure you keep going with the deadline as set in mind. If they give it to you, then you will have the body of the work done, and can spend time in refining it if you think you need to do so, but if not, you wil still be able to submit.

L

If you don't need an extension and you think you can get it finished on deadline, then stick to that if possible, more for your own peace of mind so that it's not dragging on and stressing you out. As for mitigating circumstances, definitely submit. Every University has extensive experience of students with depression, never mind staff with depression, and *should* be well aware of the fact that it's a long-term illness, not a cold that hits you one week and is gone the next. Plus the pressure of study on someone who already has it means it's harder to pull yourself out of it. I would be extremely disappointed if anyone thought that you were "milking it", given the nature of the illness, and especially since you can actually produce documentary evidence from medical professionals that you are suffering.

Mitigating circumstances can, in most cases, be considered at external examiners' meetings where your final award is considered so perhaps you should ask them to take it into account at this discussion. It may be that you're worrying needlessly anyway and to be honest, you've done exceptionally well to be this close to a distinction despite suffering from depression! You're obviously very good at what you're doing and chances are that the thesis will be fine...but I'd still submit something since you have a very genuine case.

M

Ok thanks for your helpful replies. Im going to email my supervisor today to inform them.