chat forum/app/groups

E

Hi guys. This an off topic thread. I wonder if any of you knows a forum, app, chat groups where someone is able to complain or talk or look for opinions of others about workplace problems or even personal life problems. It is really painful when you discover that you have almost no friends and the few friends you have, you do not feel confortable sharing these details with them. Part of it is being anonymous but in my opinion the important part is not having the "right people " in your circle that you feel comfortable to talk and expect a better feeling after talking with them.

K

I use reddit a fair bit. There are quite a lot of groups on there for PhD students/working life and I've been surprised at the level of support you can find on there if you find the right group.

I definitely understand about friends and feeling comfortable sharing details. I have one very good friend who I was lucky enough to meet at Uni 10 years ago, and I do feel comfortable sharing pretty much anything with him. Apart from that though I'd say I only have 1 other friend. It can be lonely but then I'm happiest on my own! Sometimes I feel like it's more that it SHOULD feel lonely than it actually does.

E

Thanks kenziebob for your advise. I have registered at reddit. I am going to explore it in the next days. Usually you hear women saying " I just want someone to listen to me, I do not want a sloution". Although I am a man, but this is what I need sometimes. Someone to listen and understand. That is it. But it is still even too much to have :)

K

Quote From eng77:
Thanks kenziebob for your advise. I have registered at reddit. I am going to explore it in the next days. Usually you hear women saying " I just want someone to listen to me, I do not want a sloution". Although I am a man, but this is what I need sometimes. Someone to listen and understand. That is it. But it is still even too much to have :)

Here's the PhD students group: https://www.reddit.com/r/PhD/ and a general one for general support https://www.reddit.com/r/offmychest/. Apologies if it is not allowed to post links, if so then I'll remove them and send by DM.

E

Thanks again kenziebob. I have copied the links and will start looking around. Thanks.