Ever wonder if we know each other?

M

I was looking around my research class the other day and it crossed my mind that one (or more) of my fellow phds may also be a fellow forum user. What's more, I always insult the people in my department to you guys--and you could BE THEM.
Oh dear, I've become paranoid. Time to pack up and go home for Christmas. (tree) M,x

S

======= Date Modified 18 Dec 2009 15:09:06 =======
NO Maria, you are definitely not paranoid, it is possible.
if people spending too much time on PC at work doesn't necessarily mean they are working all the time.
At the same time i feel it is not so possible that we are talking to our colleagues, because the are few users who are always using this forum, it is not a big number ( I think ).

But i think everyone will keep quiet even if they knew you, because it will expose them as well.

You know sometimes I feel that I know a person from their "writing personality", i imagine them as those in my work place, I'm sure it is not them, but I sometimes I feel they are, at least they have similar characteristics.

Who knows
(gift)

M

======= Date Modified 18 Dec 2009 15:15:56 =======
hmmm...well, just for the record: MY NAME IS NOT MARIA, it is FRANK. (turkey)

T

I thought I saw Pete here the other day. When I saw him in the pub I told him to come clean, but apparently there is someone with the same interests, same opinions and studying the same field! What are the chances of that?

B

I've recently recommended to staff in my department that details of this forum be passed onto other PGs in case they might find it useful as well. It's particularly beneficial for people like me who're away from the department, and so not able to get support from on-the-spot chats.

So if that happens I expect more people from my department to be online here, albeit probably - like me - under an assumed name.

K

Yeah completely...when I think of some of what I have posted on here I reckon a lot of people doing a PhD in my department would suss out who I am from the details I have given if they happened to be a PGF member! I'm not really that bothered though...I suppose if you came on here and majorly slagged off your uni or your supervisor/colleagues etc and you were identifiable then you might feel a bit worried about it. Would be weird though if some of us were actually at the same uni or even in the same dept!! KB

I think it would be really interesting if we set up some kind of poll - listing a bunch of universities - in UK, Ireland etc and see what % of us are studying where - so nobody's anonymity is compromised but we may get an idea of the number of people in our Uni on PGF?

T

======= Date Modified 18 Dec 2009 16:55:07 =======
Come on Keenbean, spill the beans, are you Pete?

See you in the Dog and Duck at six.

P

I thot Keenbean is a girl.

:-)

My anonymity was compromised here, months ago, when someone recognised me, but I have moved on...:$

P

I thot Keenbean is a girl.

:-)

My anonymity was compromised here, months ago, when someone recognised me, but I have moved on...:$

M

======= Date Modified 18 Dec 2009 17:53:28 =======

Quote From EV:

I think it would be really interesting if we set up some kind of poll - listing a bunch of universities - in UK, Ireland etc and see what % of us are studying where - so nobody's anonymity is compromised but we may get an idea of the number of people in our Uni on PGF?

I'm going to do this to see.

Actually, you can only include FOUR options...

C

Maybe we could do a FEW threads then with all of the options. I agree that it would be interesting to know what percentage of people are at what uni.

K

======= Date Modified 18 Dec 2009 18:48:22 =======

Quote From TheAce:

======= Date Modified 18 Dec 2009 16:55:07 =======
Come on Keenbean, spill the beans, are you Pete?

See you in the Dog and Duck at six.

Haha, afraid I am definitely not Pete....I am indeed a girl! But I am now quite amused and very intrigued at the existence of another person with the same views, opinions, and interests as myself! And I will be in the Cat & Lion tonight, not the Dog and Duck!!! So who's Pete?! KB

S

This is getting interesting.... 8-):-s

I love the fact that we are a free thinking, free speaking, anonymous university all of our own, floating in cyber space like beautiful seahorses in the undisovered orange coral reef of academia that PGF is. We are the forum uni!