Extra-curricular activties

W

======= Date Modified 30 20 2009 00:20:06 =======
With all this non-stop work that I do, I've not had the time to do anything else that is really worthwhile - I don't get to see enough of my mates, don't read for pleasure (it's more out of necessity!) and generally I just feel trapped and frustrated. Anyway, things came to a head tonight and I've made a really important decision. Nope, I'm not leaving my PhD - as much as it peeves me off at times, like some demanding mistress. I'm going to do lots of volunteer work in my spare time. It should be a welcome distraction and very rewarding, I hope.
I just thought I'd ask if anyone else does anything similar? And if not, what else they do to find distraction from their work - it might inspire me!

:-)

C

Until the thesis work really clamped down recently (or maybe this is just an excuse!) I used to swim 3 or 4 times a week and found it very relaxing and good for health. Now I squeeze in a once a week session.

As an undergraduate I used to volunteer at a rural animal sanctuary for abandoned and neglected animals - and this consisted of cleaning out (yucky) and then walking the dogs accross the countryside (which was great fun!). I have also volunteered in a number of museums doing dat imput or basic collections care. That was actually pretty fun. Though again, not to much of that now I am in the last stages of the PhD.

Hope your find a decent distraction from work! My current distractions are purely digital - television, facebook, and forums... ;)

A

Voluntary work - great idea. I don't do any but have been thinking about learning about falconry. I think its fascinating.
Distractions - plenty. I've just bought hens. They're entertaining to watch and will pay their way (no eggs yet). Digging the garden is a great stress reliever and productive too.

Good luck. Get some perspective. I've finished my PhD and although corrections are still a tiresome part of my life, in the grand scheme of things, my research on some abstract area that no-one is particularly interested in is just a tiny drop in the ocean.

P

I reply sitting at a dark and strangish cafe in the Netherlands (!) where I'm about to present a paper tomorrow. My distraction today was a walk through a floating flower market and it made me realise that 'perspective (with social life, health and anity) is what we PhD people lack the most..

(Recently, while discussing singledom, one of my friends told me they're sure an intelligent young man is waiting for me, somewhere who is willing to handle a 'challenge'! haha... that's what a PhD is doing to me!)

Looking out now at a sunlit canal sidewalk and some carefree pigeons...

P

why not watch Wimbledon tennis this week? definitely a distraction, and quite exciting at times, too!
i must say that some of the players show real stamina and determination, which is quite inspiring, i find.

M

I've had Wimbledon on the background all week... I get a little jealous that I'm not there though!!

It's a great thing to have on when working, and it's only completely distracted me during the Murray match the other night, when I had to down tools (well my pen) and watch the match.

E

Well, today and for the next three days my distraction will be the national archery championship!!! Very relaxing.....Too bad that this year I didn't have any time to go to practice and so I am not competing........:-(

S

Hmmmm, I think voluntary work is a great idea, I would recommend moving house, its been a massive distraction to me the last couple of weeks, but maybe a little extreme! I tend to end up procrasinating, chatting online, sorting out my chickens (yes, I have them too) and various other things. If you could do some exercise that might be good too, very relaxing in a strange way! Apart from that, yes the tennis has been great, or just sit out and enjoy the sun for a bit :-)

W

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions, guys. I have a meeting at an organisation that helps match you to suitable voluntary work, according to your skills and what you want. I also found a really nice site with lots of stuff on too: www.doit.org There's some voluntary work going at a Citizen's Advice Bureau near where I live, so I'll try an go for that I think. What a lot of new experiences, I'd have there working with people from all walks of life! I'll let you know what happens tomorrow, after my meeting.

L

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions, guys. I have a meeting at an organisation that helps match you to suitable voluntary work, according to your skills and what you want. I also found a really nice site with lots of stuff on too: www.doit.org There's some voluntary work going at a Citizen's Advice Bureau near where I live, so I'll try an go for that I think. What a lot of new experiences, I'd have there working with people from all walks of life! I'll let you know what happens tomorrow, after my meeting.

that's a splendid idea! good for you!!!

can you tell me about this organisation??

i went to doit.org. but it seems to be a website about software :$

i also thought about volunteering. i looked into volunteering for childline. i think once i'm done with my phd, i might seriously do it. they train you up, but you have to commit for a year. and do shift work. but its a great organisation.

as for extra curricular activities, i like playing the piano. well learning to play the piano more like! at the moment, i'm trying to learn clair de lune by Debussy , i only have gotten the first two bars!! :-) and learning 9 crimes by damien rice, i've gotten the beginning of that down
that reminds me, i really ought to practice everyday even if its just for 5-10minutes! instead of just at the weekend.

W

Hiya Lara, of course. I made a typo. The actual e-mail address is: www.doit.org.uk. It tells you about all the volunteering opportunities in your area and selects ones according to your skills and interests. :-)

M

Here's another volunteering site with the UN (on a cynical note, I know a few people who do volunteering work with the UN to enhance their CV):

http://www.onlinevolunteering.org/en/vol/index.html

M

Volunteering is great. I volunteer on an ambulance and train in emergency medicine. Can make you feel really guilty when you can't help out when they need you because you need to work on your phd. especially if you then get little or no work done during that time. Outside phd activities are oh-so important, I'm all about the extra-curricular action !

L

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Hiya Lara, of course. I made a typo. The actual e-mail address is: www.doit.org.uk. It tells you about all the volunteering opportunities in your area and selects ones according to your skills and interests. :-)

ahhh thanks! that's a great website. i checked it out . thanks so much

what are you going to volunteer for?

L

======= Date Modified 03 Jul 2009 11:43:51 =======

Quote From mathkitty:

Volunteering is great. I volunteer on an ambulance and train in emergency medicine.

oh wow that's awesome!! can you tell me more about it?

i used to be a member of St johns ambulance.