holidays?

Anyone going on holiday?

If so where?

It looks like I will be staying at home for a week - where I work :-( so pretty pointless!

G

If you get good weather and have time to enjoy it then it might not be so bad.

I'll be going to Spain I think it is in Sept...My mum needs someone to be a buffer between her and my gran so it should be fun :p

J

Not sure those of you stuck in labs doing experiments want to hear this.  Five weeks combined holiday and fieldwork (well for me - husband and children it's just a holiday) flying to Denver and then taking in National parks (incl Yellowstone and Grand Canyon) for research, Las Vegas, Route 66, Santa Fe. Mixture of camping in national parks, posh hotel in Vegas (got a very cheap deal) and motels everywhere else (with all of us in one room).  Sometimes I am very glad that my subject is tourism!

K

I'm going to Finland for a conference in September and am going to try and stay for a few days longer. Does that count?! Also maybe Paris for my birthday, fingers crossed.

K

No holidays planned yet :( But am hoping to head to New Orleans for a conference in November if my abstracts get accepted so fingers crossed! All the staff who go to cool conference locations seem to extend them into a holiday as well, so I'm damn sure I'm going to leave some time to explore too! Best, KB

W

Quote From jepsonclough:

Not sure those of you stuck in labs doing experiments want to hear this.  Five weeks combined holiday and fieldwork (well for me - husband and children it's just a holiday) flying to Denver and then taking in National parks (incl Yellowstone and Grand Canyon) for research, Las Vegas, Route 66, Santa Fe. Mixture of camping in national parks, posh hotel in Vegas (got a very cheap deal) and motels everywhere else (with all of us in one room).  Sometimes I am very glad that my subject is tourism!

Well, I'm not the kind to counter-brag, but I'm going to Barnsly for around 7 consecutive half-days this summer. Ostensibly it's research at the hospital, but well...I might have to turn it into a vacation for an hour or so each day.

J

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Well, I'm not the kind to counter-brag, but I'm going to Barnsly for around 7 consecutive half-days this summer. Ostensibly it's research at the hospital, but well...I might have to turn it into a vacation for an hour or so each day.

That really made me smile
:-)

When I was developing my proposal one of the criteria was (given my subject area is torusim) was to have an excuse to travel. I was in Borneo in April for a conference and managed a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur. Only problem is that when conferences are during term time I can't tag a holiday on the end. Tourism conferences are usually held in nice places which is a benefit of the subject area.

A

No holidays for me, but I will be going to south of france to do my writing up whilst living with my boyfriend. I don't know if this is good or bad though, i think I'd feel less sad about sitting in all the time when it's doing the pretend-summer thing over here, I think it may jsut sicken me living in a super nice place with no chance to actually get outside and write up....
However it's my birthday after I submit so I'm definitely doing something! Rome perhaps.... :-)

B

I don't have a holiday planned, but would maybe like to manage a short break to Venice with hubby before Christmas, if I can manage it. Would be lovely.

K

Quote From algaequeen:

No holidays for me, but I will be going to south of france to do my writing up whilst living with my boyfriend. I don't know if this is good or bad though, i think I'd feel less sad about sitting in all the time when it's doing the pretend-summer thing over here, I think it may jsut sicken me living in a super nice place with no chance to actually get outside and write up....
However it's my birthday after I submit so I'm definitely doing something! Rome perhaps.... :-)

Wireless internet AQ! Sit in the garden (or front steps if you must)

P

I am in Portugal (twice), GErmany (twice), SIngapore for conferences and projects through the summer with no day this way or that for hols.

But

2 days on a boat near Oxford (mid June)
2 days in Scotland (after a conference, with friends, end June)
am spending a week in home (July)

then 12 days at summer school in Slovenia (August)

and then prolly a few days at a friend's place in an Italian village...

Then back to Germany for a confernece, with 2 days in 'Sound of Music' Salzburg in between...

:-)

Sounds good? :-)

N

This summer I'll be finishing my Masters so no holiday planned, if I get a short break between my MSc and starting my PhD I might go away somewhere - feels like a long way off at the moment!

B

Quote From phdbug:

Sounds good? :-)

Not half! Lucky you 8-)

H

I am hoping for a holiday, maybe to Egypt or Morroco. Need some sun and rest!

E

Well, I am living in a small city near the sea in Greece, so in the summer everyday is like holiday...
I may go for a couple of days to my bf's island (well he doesn't own it, but he is from there) and then to another island with a friend...
As far as work is concerned...probably I will do almost nothing in August as I really need to rest.