How do you know when someone is flirting with you?

D

I am the world's worst person at picking up on flirting or hints when someone likes me. Often this causes problems, especially if I like someone else, as I tend to be direct and just come out with it whereas they may be being subtle about it. I just can't tell if they don't tell me directly.

Soooooo how do you tell if someone is being flirty :-x or just friendly :-) ?

There is a specific reason I ask... ,-)

O

Generally it is in the eyeballs. Lingering looks. If they're really brave they might touch you lightly.

S

hi DanB
possible answers:

flirty:
between the flirter and flirtee, there may be some topic/something flattering or nice about the flirtee that they flirter will do or say to the flirtee; or flirter might do something a wee bit extra (applies also to giving looks--see the eyes etc)

friendly:
consistent behaviour from the flirter

hope this helps
love satchi

======= Date Modified 24 Jun 2010 17:53:12 =======
hair touching - I'm really bad for this, I twirl my locks at the drop of a hat! although more of a girl thing!

stuttering?

Dan, it looks a lot like this: ;-):-x8-):-);-):-x8-);-):-):-x8-);-):-) with, most likely, a bit of this thrown in: :$

OOOoooooh there's just something about that top hat and tie combination...

K

I'm an arrogant sod and quite a flirt and I pretty much always know when somebody is flirting with me 8-) Gut instinct!

They eye contact thing is very true. Also, smiling and laughing a lot in your presence and finding excuses to be around you (coming over to your desk, walking past).

And now we need to know more about this mystery flirter...

D

So would someone saying first thing this rmoning "How lovely to see your smiling face again" be flirting or just friendly? Especially as I have been ill and look DREADFUL!

depends, is it the kind of thing they say to everyone?

S

Lol, yep, or were they just being sarcastic? ;-) If it was just for you with a bit of lingering eye contact and smile and probably some hair twirling then I'd say flirting

Finding reasons to touch you is a dead give away - a casual pat on the arm etc. Definitely smiling/giggling alot and the hair twirling thing as has been mentioned already. Listening very intently when you speak, mimicking your body language, finding excuses to come talk to you. Try watching them when you think they are not looking to see if he/she keeps glancing in your direction.

Oooh new romance - how exciting!!!!! I haven't had that feeling for 7 years...

D

Quote From ev:

Try watching them when you think they are not looking to see if he/she keeps glancing in your direction.

Oh there was quite a bit of that...

Are these advances wanted or unwanted?

D

Quote From sneaks:

Are these advances wanted or unwanted?

IF they are indeed advances, then they are very nice, I'm not complaining...

... but I wouldn't do anything about it as it would be unprofessional of me.

W

There's a whole science around flirting, and I note that some of the key traits have been mentioned. Also be aware of the potential flirter leaning towards you a bit too much to listen to what you're saying. Often this may be at an angle, so that they can present their best side to you. Nodding a lot and agreeing with everything you say - even laughing at stuff you say in an exaggerated manner. Mimicking your body language is another trait of flirting. I think I can also add the use of suggestive language, double entendres and the potential flirter asking you lots of open questions.
Recent traits of flirting that I have come across, in terms of mobile textual exchanging, include: :-p, xxx, mwah [?], xox. I've also encountered instances of a flirter spending more time with the flirtee than anyone else. Also, the purchase of toffees for the flirtee is something to look out for.

J

Mirroring your body langauge.

Also just think about what you do when you are flirting!