Is it me, or have you noticed...

W

Well, now Oscars season is out of the way, and we're all stars and amazing people in our own little ways (hold on while I pat myself on the back), I think it fitting that we start a new off-topics thread. The Is It Me Or Have You Noticed thread. It can be about anything that maybe you've spotted but no-one else has. You have to start your post with, 'Is it me, or'.

Here's mine...

Is it me, or have you noticed that chocolate is becoming ridiculously expensive? Tonight I drove to my local Asda to get myself some pick-me-up chocolate and, just for a Maltesers Easter chocolate rabbit it was 79p. It's a piddly little thing that you can fit in your mouth whole. But it doesn't end there because even regular chocolate bars, like Mars and Snickers, are like 60p now. I work all day long, cursing to myself, then drive for miles to get a chocolate bar only to get robbed! I personally don't think we'll have an obesity crisis for much longer at this rate, it'll be too expensive. I'm of the mind to break it in half and it on on consecutive days to make it last longer.

hey Wally, I'm going to ignore the dress code etc and gatecrash your thread in my dodgy outfit.

Has anyone read the 'Is it just me or is everyting s***?' books they're hilarious...

I agree about chocolate, although Home and Bargain on Merseyside is a last bastion of affordable confectionery, if you ever make the trip. It's also good for high quality low cost wines, particularly rose.

is it just me or am I the only woman who does not have obviously dyed black 'stripper' style hair, an orange face or wear leggings, ugg boots and some kind of boho top? Surely when this fashion is so widespread then it is not fashionable any more?

K

Not the only woman Sneaks ;-)

C

Quote From sneaks:

is it just me or am I the only woman who does not have obviously dyed black 'stripper' style hair, an orange face or wear leggings, ugg boots and some kind of boho top? Surely when this fashion is so widespread then it is not fashionable any more?

On a similar theme, at least at my university (large city) the undergraduate "Rah" girls all seem to walk around in Ugg boots and pyjama trousers with messed up hair and a polo t-shirt on. And their male counterparts the same, but with big slouchy and baggy grey marl cotton tracksuit trousers.

Insane. In Sainsburys and in the library, or out in the street!

sigh.

I would love to get away with the 'sexy just out of bed' look, but I think it must take hours to get right and i haven't got that much time!

T

I'm a fan of that look too Chrisrolinski, you'll notice that while the outfit suggests "I've just rolled out of bed", the hair requires at least half an hours back-combing, and they're sporting a full face of slap. *sigh* if only I were rich and sophisticated enough to look like a scarecrow.

On my own note.... has anyone noticed that you virtually cannot buy a normal packet of crisps these days? It's either a 50g grab bag or nowt. No wonder we're all getting lardy.

A

lol i dont think that's the sexy get out of bed look sneaks, I think it's the 'scabby am too lazy to dress like a normal person' look! there are a lot of them where I'm studying....it got so bad places started banning customers coming in wearing pyjamas! some people even had night pyjamas and day pyjamas which they changed into for outside wear! madness!!
However is it me or...are ugg boots really very heavy, as people wearing them cannot seem to lift their feet!! Obviously I know it's due to sheer crapness of the shoes, absolutely NO support in them! also, is it me or am I the only person in the world who thinks shoes with no support shouldn't be worn all day long?!

I do own a pair of uggs :$ although I would like to clarify that a) I don't wear my jeans tucked into them b) I don't walk sloppily in them - they haven't 'collapsed' like I see some girls have c) I only wear them because i can't wear a heel of any height because of my back and I also can't wear pumps so they are the most non-butch lesbian type shoes I could find. Although I tend to wear trainers 99% of the time.

Has anyone noticed that you can't buy proper english sandwiches anymore? I love the old favourites e.g.. cheese and tomato and you can't find them anywhere, its all crayfish and lemongrass and masses of red onions and when you find something that resembles it its got some posh mayonnaise or horseradish in it :-(

A

noooooo don't wear pumps, they are so very very bad for your feet! I used to work in clarks for years and the feet some people came in with! I'd only ever seen huge bunions on old ladies who wore stilettoes every day since they were 14, but now I see teenagers with bunions!! It's crazy, bad shoes wrecks your feet, your ankles, your legs and your back! I think Uggs are ok short term, but not all the time! and as for the sandwiches, £3 for cheese salad?! I don't think so! whooo...rapidly turning into grumpy old lady thread......

S

Is it me, or are the undergrads really getting younger every year?? This year they all look like they're about 12!!

And as for shoes with no support, when will the craze for thongs die down? Ugly, ugly, I don't need to see your whole feet dragging along in these ugly rubber things (I'll let people get away with the not-so-hideous, not-as-cheap ones which have diamantes and things like that...). Oh - but it's winter where most of you are - you're spared this for another few months!

J

Quote From eska:

I agree about chocolate, although Home and Bargain on Merseyside is a last bastion of affordable confectionery, if you ever make the trip. It's also good for high quality low cost wines, particularly rose.

Is it me, or is Home and Bargain even getting ridiculously (ok... slight exaggeration there), but more expensive?! I paid a whole 59p for a bottle of diet coke there the other day, which before xmas was only 39p. Pffft. Thieves I tells ya!

Eska, are you a fellow Merseyside-ian?

ew I hate people wearing flip flops in london - its sooo dirty here! My friend also got caught on an escalater because her flip flops flipped and got stuck! i can't walk in them, I tend to wear trainers all year round. I've got my eye on some really colourful hi-tops!

C

======= Date Modified 17 Mar 2010 12:06:50 =======
Urgh! Flip flops! (aka thongs)

I have never understood why people wear them, least of all men. Especially those with hirsuite toes. There is probably not a sight more revolting (other then completely rotten teeth horror pictures on the internet) then a big lumpy mishapen male big-toe poking through a flip flop. Especially since said toes are often poorly cut (the nail looks like it has been shortened with teeth or a hacksaw) and have the inevitable fungal infection.

And even here in England in a large inland city (hardly a small costal resort) - everybody starts wearing them in the spring until autumn. They end up getting caught in escalators, bus doors, suoermarket trolleys, or you end up treading on them as they make that "slap, slap, slap, slap" noise (offensive in itself) and getting evil eyes from the wearer....

(down)

M

Quote From chrisrolinski:

On a similar theme, at least at my university (large city) the undergraduate "Rah" girls all seem to walk around in Ugg boots and pyjama trousers with messed up hair and a polo t-shirt on. And their male counterparts the same, but with big slouchy and baggy grey marl cotton tracksuit trousers.

Insane. In Sainsburys and in the library, or out in the street!

sigh.

It's the same at my uni. 50% of undergraduate girls dress this way. Habe you noticed that they also have very husky voices? I was brought up in Italy, so I hadn't come across a rah until i did my MA.