Listing rejected funding applications on new funding application?

N

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a grant (less than £1000) and there's a section which asks for other grant applications that have been or will be made for the money. I've already had a couple of rejections from general prizes (i.e. not directed grants) that would've funded these expenses. I'm wondering whether to list them on my application as rejections.

If I list them, maybe it sends a message that I really do need the money but maybe it also says that my project is not 'worthy' of funding...but hopefully my CV and application would convince them otherwise. I was funded by this trust a few years ago (~£5000) so they would hopefully take that into consideration.

Thanks for your help!

P

I would assume it was either ongoing applications or future plans for such applications. They can't be asking for details of rejected applications I wouldn't have thought.

N

Quote From pm133:
I would assume it was either ongoing applications or future plans for such applications. They can't be asking for details of rejected applications I wouldn't have thought.

Thanks for your comment pm133. The section asks for 'details of all sources of funding for which you have applied or intend to apply' with fields for the source, amount, whether you have applied and whether the money has been awarded ('yes'/'no'/'pending'). This suggests to me that you can put rejected awards. I wouldn't normally include rejected applications but since they've put the 'no' option, it made me wonder.

T

Hmm, this sounds like some conference funding I recently applied for. They asked for the same information. The pot of money was from my university, and they asked for this information because they wanted to be able to see that I had tried other sources first / was also trying other sources. So I think it's important to list them if they're asking for them. Also understand your reservations. Could you maybe put one there (if you've applied for multiple) just to show you've applied for one? On my form, I put in brackets that it was unsuccessful because I wasn't eligible anymore because my research council studentship had ended. Maybe you could put some reason like that, which doesn't reflect on your project at all.

N

Hi Tudor! Thanks for this. I think that could be a good idea, to just put one. They were both just 'general' awards, not specifically 'publication funding' (which is what I'm applying for) but it would at least show that I tried to get funding elsewhere. I was also planning on submitting another pending application so I'll have that on there too.

P

Quote From Nesrine87:
Quote From pm133:

Thanks for your comment pm133. The section asks for 'details of all sources of funding for which you have applied or intend to apply' with fields for the source, amount, whether you have applied and whether the money has been awarded ('yes'/'no'/'pending'). This suggests to me that you can put rejected awards. I wouldn't normally include rejected applications but since they've put the 'no' option, it made me wonder.

Right OK. That seems very unfair and completely irrelevant to your application but I suppose you have no choice.

P

Quote From Nesrine87:
Hi Tudor! Thanks for this. I think that could be a good idea, to just put one. They were both just 'general' awards, not specifically 'publication funding' (which is what I'm applying for) but it would at least show that I tried to get funding elsewhere. I was also planning on submitting another pending application so I'll have that on there too.

The problem is that you say they ask for details of ALL funding requests for this work. If you omit something you could be in trouble.

N

Quote From pm133:
The problem is that you say they ask for details of ALL funding requests for this work. If you omit something you could be in trouble.

Yes, this is certainly worth considering. However, I think I would probably be okay because the rejections were for very general research support awards, whereas I'm applying for a very specific directed grant to fund one part of my work. Anyway, thanks for your input! I will have a think about what to do.

Edit: just to clarify, I think omitting the previous awards wouldn't be an issue because they aren't actually connected to the current grant application.

T

Totally agree with your last message. Is it possible to check out the reasoning behind the question though - e.g., email the admin team responsible? It just may be the more things you have tried, the more likely you are to get funding, as they consider that you are more deserving of their particular pot of money as you've tried all else. I'm pretty sure that was the case in my university conference funding. Be good to check if you can - listing more may go in your favour!

N

Hmm, good point. I could send an email and ask. I can also ask some of the funding committee members as I know a couple of them. Thanks for this suggestion!

T

Sounds like a plan! Be interested to hear their reasoning!