travel to paris?

S

hi everyone, I might be in london for a few days in december, I'm wondering if it is possible to visit paris for just a day trip from there. Has anyone done so?
Which website do I look for travel?

any advice welcome please
thanks very much
love satchi

M

Eurostar? I went to a conference in Belgium a few weeks ago and was quite impressed with Eurostar: quick and relatively cheap. I just had to pretend there was not tunnel...

C

Eurostar is definitely the best option and no problem for a day - first train about 7am gets you in at 10.17 Paris time and last train back is just after 9pm, so plenty of time to explore the city. And if you book soon, you should get a reasonable price too. Best price possible is about £59 each way.

www.eurostar.com

D

Yeah, my friend often goes to Paris for the day - Eurostar is easy, very comfortable and will give you most of the day there.

S

thanks so much for your replies!
so its' eurostar; I will look at the website.

Now I'm thinking if I should stay one night; if the train arrives around midnight, it will be a bit late for me on my own in London especially when I don't know it well. But then again it is safe in London, right? If I find a B&B at Paddington I can still get there after midnight from St Pancras, right?

thanks again
love satchi

J

Yea, you would be able to get a nightbus quite easily from St Pancras to Paddington. Don't risk getting a taxi - they tend to overcharge like crazy, especially if you seem like a tourist.

As for Paris, I suggest staying in the Latin Quarter... imo definitely the easiest/nicest area to stay in. Have a great time!

C

I went on Eurostart for a day trip to Paris a few years ago in December. It is possible but I'd say have a plan of what you want to do before hand. There's lots to see and although 11 hours seems a lot of time, it goes very quickly. We tried to go up the Eifel tower but due to the queues never made it to the top because doing so we would have missed the last train back to London.
Also (dunno if this was the norm) but Paris was surprising cold compared to London so wrap up warm (sound like your parent now :p)

S

thanks so much for your replies.
I checked the Eurostar rates; it is 15/12 is £34.50, I guess it's ok
but I still haven't bought the ticket
I will confirm my london dates soon; hopefully the ticket price does not change anymore :-)

love satchi