What do you do in your breaks?

I've realised I do need regular breaks in my working day, otherwise I spend hours staring at the screen doing nothing. But I need more options! (I'm talking 5 min breaks here - not full on lunch hours)

at the mo I..

- make tea
- trawl internet - bad as need a break from the screen really
- eat :-(

Any suggestions?

P

Do you have a pet, or a garden - any access to wildlife...

I have a beloved cat and, soppy as it sounds, I give him a big bear (or big cat) hug when I'm stressed out or need to zone off for a moment. I find his little blank face really calming!! Yes, I am an aspiring 'mad cat lady'....

I don't suppose this will help much if you don't have any of the above. But it's that idea of accessing something a bit primal for a few minutes, as at the best of times studying can take you away from that grounded earthliness I think. Something to do with too many words. So you're right - anything silent, or screen-free is probably a good choice.

Sorry for the free-form ramble...so tired :[

Hope that helps....will be interesting to see what others suggest!!

Ah yes, I have 2 cats, although I try not to encourage them during work hours, cos they end up sitting on all my work and jumping on the keyboard etc.

I am known to play a 5 min game of 'where's the duck' with my dog though, which consists of running madly around the house with a toy duck (which quacks) and chasing the dog with it, throwing it for the dog and then letting the dog chase me, all while shouting "where's the duck!!??"

P

The internet sucks you in :-( It is the enemy of progress!

Do you have any thick pile carpets? Odd question I know but if you take your socks off and scrunch your toes up whilst standing on them it can be really relaxing. That may just be me though and weeks of writing up on my own might have melted my brain.

Sometimes I read a chapter of a fiction book I've already read. It something that isn't work, I enjoy and I don't need to focus too hard on to understand.

Or...I pace. It's not really a break but I find I can think really well if I just get up for a bit and move around. Im not an active person in the least but I find it really gets the brain going. I don't even have to be thinking about work I can just daydream.

P

Ooh, yes...getting active is good:

I may take to combining both your ideas and pacing round with a toy duck. Do you think it works without the dog?

:p

S

I like to look at items on ebay
:-) :-) :-)
love satchi

Quote From Prettypollicy:

Ooh, yes...getting active is good:

I may take to combining both your ideas and pacing round with a toy duck. Do you think it works without the dog?

:p

probably not, although you should give it a go! Its not really pacing, more running about like a maniac until my dog is literally bouncing off the walls.

S

Quote From sneaks:

Ah yes, I have 2 cats, although I try not to encourage them during work hours, cos they end up sitting on all my work and jumping on the keyboard etc.

I am known to play a 5 min game of 'where's the duck' with my dog though, which consists of running madly around the house with a toy duck (which quacks) and chasing the dog with it, throwing it for the dog and then letting the dog chase me, all while shouting "where's the duck!!??"

you have 2 cats and a dog in your house? :-) :-) :-) that is so nice
love satchi

N

I have three dogs so when I have a break I sometimes go and pick up my 10 month old yorkshire terrier and give him a cuddle...he's the cutest little thing. Or I play with him if he's irritating the other 2 dogs. Or I check my phone and respond to texts/calls as I don't really look at it and have it on silent in a drawer if I'm really busy with something. I always make another cup of tea/coffee as well, generally accompanied by biscuits but I'm trying to watch what I eat at the moment.

B

I eat angel delight mmmmm, which is really naughty but it's what I'm doing now. I usually just trawl the internet, which like you said Sneaks, it isn't really a break away from the pc!

T

Good call button! But I have to ask, which flavour? IMHO there is only butterscotch (preferably with banana chunks hidden in it)!

B

Noo teek it's all about the chocolate flavour, a classic if you ask me!

C

======= Date Modified 13 Jul 2010 18:46:51 =======
Clean tha house? Might actually make you want to go back to your work too!

Personally I work at uni most the time so go and have a chat with someone on my breaks, or go for a walk...usually to buy sweets which is not good. At home I tend to put the TV on and 5 mins turns to an hour!

Oh and butterscotch is the best flavour angel delight, though I havn't had it in years as my boyfriend doesn't like that sort of dessert.

J

I tend to stick a load of washing on / take the washing out and peg it out. When I am at work I make a cup of tea and see who else wants one so we can have a 5 min chat (the smokers all go out for a chat). I tend to do all the surf the net stuff but as you said you need (esp if you wear glasses) need non-screen time. I did have a resolution (which didn't last very long) to spend 15 mins a day tidyng my office so I might reinstate that in 5 minute blocks - in fact looking at my desk I might start that now - you have inspired me :-)

F

I tend to work at a laptop, so I pop the screen down, take a peek at my to-do list in my notepad and cross off what i've achieved so far to keep me motivated, amend it if need be.

Then I wander outside for a walk to stretch my legs out and get some fresh air. I'm lucky in that I work in a nice area.