Would you do a second PhD?

D

Let's put it to the vote!

C

DanB - we need to have an intervention and save you from yourself! ;)

C

have thought about doing DClinPysc which is technically another PhD. Don't think I WILL do it, but I WOULD if situation transpires where it seems more of a good idea.

D

Well I have no intention to do so ... yet... but I've often thought about how interesting it would be to do another one given that you understand the process and discipline a bit better than the first time around. I wonder if people generally find it easier given they can concentrate more on "research" instead of worrying whether they're doing enough or where to find obscure journals. And just generally feeling more comfortable about the expectation of it.

C

I should imagine that it is a much easier thing to do: better writing and research skills and an ease with the field. But surely it would be better to write a book than another thesis (in the humanities) though I guess in the sciences different skills sets wouldbe acquired...

B

Well I started two PhDs, but only finished the second one. So I have some experience of this, though not quite in the way you're asking. I did find it easier the second time (apart from the health problems): I knew better what to expect, and how to make the most of opportunities.

But I don't think having finished one I'd have another go now. I've had enough!

P

The one I'm nearly finishing was hard enough!

Although I wouldn't mind doing a undergraduate or masters degree after this, probably in another field.

D

I'm doing an Open Uni degree (Undergraduate) and have done for the past few years, it's quite nice you can pick and choose what you learn. I did computing mostly before, but now doing Spanish. And next year I quite fancy doing something like economics.

I'd also like to do an MBA. But not at LSBF before anybody says anything ;-)

B

After I left the full-time computing PhD I studied history and classical studies with the OU. I didn't go for a named degree, but picked and chose courses that I was interested in. And that led onto a local Masters, and the subsequent second go at a PhD, history this time. The OU degree was very well regarded by the various universities and funding bodies.

I've signed up for another OU (undergraduate) course next year. Maybe one day I might do a classical studies Masters. But never another PhD again.

E

I think I will do another one! I am working in education (with children with special needs) and I read a lot around the subject every day. Also, I have quite a few ideas that could be good research proposals, and it would be relatively easy to do the research while working. My current PhD is in a different area, so every day for me is almost like reading for two PhDs...

We'll see....(my bf will kill me!!!!!!!)

B

Quote From emmaki:

Also, I have quite a few ideas that could be good research proposals, and it would be relatively easy to do the research while working.

But why go to the expense and full-blown hassle of another PhD, when you could do the research anyway and publish the results in journal papers, a book and conference presentations?

Still pondering which of DanB's poll options I can go for. I'm leaning towards the last one!

E

Quote From BilboBaggins:

Quote From emmaki:

Also, I have quite a few ideas that could be good research proposals, and it would be relatively easy to do the research while working.

But why go to the expense and full-blown hassle of another PhD, when you could do the research anyway and publish the results in journal papers, a book and conference presentations?

Still pondering which of DanB's poll options I can go for. I'm leaning towards the last one!

I guess I am also addicted to studying....
And as my job is on special education (while my PhD is on a completely different subject), a PhD in that field will help me advance in my job...
As far as the expense...In my country, you don't have to pay any fees for any university degree. The only problem is to get accepted by a professor/supervisor

B

Quote From emmaki:

And as my job is on special education (while my PhD is on a completely different subject), a PhD in that field will help me advance in my job...

More so than a raft of relevant publications without a second PhD?

As far as the expense...In my country, you don't have to pay any fees for any university degree. The only problem is to get accepted by a professor/supervisor

That certainly helps. It would cost me an additional 10,000 pounds in tuition fees to go for a second PhD at my university, and that's assuming I go for the cheapest tuition fee programmes. And that's just tuition fees, not any additional living expenses.

S

nice thread!!!
:-)
and no, I wouldnt do a 2nd phd
love
satchi

S

Whdaya insane DanB? Even suggesting a such a thing is madness!! I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than do another PhD. I'd much rather a job as a post-doc or researcher, rather than the pain and anguish of another PhD.