2nd place on PhD reserve list

C

Hello,

I'm a bit confused and need some help deciphering all of this...I have just been sent a certificate of offer for my dream PhD project and supervisor, at my dream university. However, they have explained that I placed second and am therefore on a reserve list, so therefore my offer does not include funding. I'm waiting to hear as to whether the first candidate has accepted or not, however, in the mean time - should I still count this as being offered a genuine place on the course? It was an official letter, however their wording of my being on a reserve list has left me sceptical..but surely they wouldn't send an offer letter if they weren't going to offer me a place (funded or not). Has anyone else been in a similar position please?

C

There was indeed an offer, but the offer is for the PhD place only, and does not include funding. That was made perfectly clear in the offer letter you cited.

Whether you want to accept the offer without funding is your decision. My advice is to look for alternatives/backup now if you are not prepared to go the self-funded route, in case the first choice candidate for funding accepts his offer.

E

Quote From cb667:
Hello,

I'm a bit confused and need some help deciphering all of this...I have just been sent a certificate of offer for my dream PhD project and supervisor, at my dream university. However, they have explained that I placed second and am therefore on a reserve list, so therefore my offer does not include funding. I'm waiting to hear as to whether the first candidate has accepted or not, however, in the mean time - should I still count this as being offered a genuine place on the course? It was an official letter, however their wording of my being on a reserve list has left me sceptical..but surely they wouldn't send an offer letter if they weren't going to offer me a place (funded or not). Has anyone else been in a similar position please?

I have always the opinion that PhD is all about funding. An offer without a funding counts for me as nothing. Self funding 3-5 years does not work in most cases. I would look for alternatives and if the first candidate turned down the offer, you can go for it.
A good uni/lab with funding is much better than a dream PhD without funding.