A Positive Perspective Of PhD Life!

S

Hiya,

I thought I would share my experiences of my PhD so far!

I have a happy and positive perspective on PhD life. I started in October 2009 with a BBSRC funded studentship. I have loads of data already. My supervisor rocks, she is young, smart, easy to get on with, always around for questions, meet once per week minimum, get replies to emails instantly. Postdocs in my lab are very helpful and always there if I need them. Other PhD students are friendly, great atmosphere in both the lab and office. I have done a few presentations - the first one went bad but the second one much better. I am writing a review paper and hope to publish it within the year. I am attending my first conference soon and presenting a poster - can't wait. Should have my first article published within the year also. Met lots of internationally renound scientists on an informal basis (playing football) who are all great, one of them being my advisor which will be a massive confidence boost when he is in my assessments and viva. I live close by so getting to and from work is easy.

That's about all for now! Comments welcome :D

L

Who let this one in?

R

that's cool .. wish u the best of luck

K

Hey superman! It's great to hear you are enjoying your PhD so much! I am also having a very positive PhD experience and am absolutely loving it... I don't seem to have had the same sort of issues a lot of people have struggled with regarding supervisors, motivation etc...although I suppose I get little ups and downs now and again. Anyway, it sounds like you are making the most of your experiences, and it's always nice to have a positive post on here! Hope it keeps going well! KB

C

Hey Superman.
On balance I'm having a good PhD experience - though not quiet as good as yours! I'm in my final year and only now going to my first conference. Hope the poster presentation goes well, and things stay good for the three years. (up)

S

hi Superman
this is a nice thread!!! I'm so happy for you.
mine is also positive like yours; my 1st year was a bit slow; I didn't really know what I was doing.
but this 2nd year has been great. I will have 3 papers published too (on the way) within the year.
I have done one presentation and another 2 coming up soon.
I am also happy to hear about your supervisor; everythings just great for you!
My supervisor is wonderful too; that I developed a crazy crush over him; in fact I saw him today, walking by, he looked nice but I quickly woke myself up, OUT of the DREAM ZONE. HAHAHA
Please post more good news often.
I wish you all the best and most wonderful rest of your PHD
lucky satchi

S

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that more of you are enjoying the PhD too. A lot of threads on here are doom and gloom. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one having a good time. I think having a good relationship with a supervisor or mentor makes all the difference.

Some days I can't stop smiling. People ask if I am OK as if i'm on something. In my opinion there really is nothing better than doing research. My office is right next to the coffee room too... what a bonus!

S

Hi Superman,

I know some of us appear miserable but I'm sure that in real life we are a happy and well-adjusted bunch :p Sometimes bad supervisors happen to good people ;-)

Although my PhD has been a nightmare I still love research and am just about to embark on a new project which is very exciting. So academic life is not all bad (up)

A

Hiya Superman,

Your profile totally triggers an impression. Should your nick would be luckyman, but superman may just suits fine. Does this a general requirement to submit the paper in a year or you are again acting a superman in this regard.

Bravo and Regards.

S

Hi Sarah,

I feel bad for people who get bad supervisors. I see a few people in our department who get no support at all and I think it is awful. So many people rarely see them or haven’t even still had meetings. I think I would struggle if left to do it on my own. I guess I have just been lucky. I did go out of my way to choose a PhD with a supervisor I thought would be helpful and easy to get on with so it’s not all luck. I am glad you still enjoy it! :D

Hi Anum,

My nickname is not a reflection of me! I just like superman and his principles lol. I am a smallville addict. Oh... and I have superman pijamas... yea that’s right I’m a geek but I didn’t buy them for myself; honest!

It’s not a requirement to publish. I just wanted to have a good first year and should be able to make a story out of the data I have. Highly motivated right now but I am sure that could change.