Academic CV advice

N

Hello!
Right I'm currently in the midst of applying for a fully funded PhD and have everything (pretty much) sorted apart from an academic CV :s It's for a PhD in psychology (designing a new prison intervention) and I'm just a bit confused as to what to include?? I've not had any real research experience apart from i've got a BSc. and MSc. in Psychology (with first and distinction) but I've not really had any other research experience outside of my courses.

Anyway, as i don't exactly have any publications to include I was wondering if anyone had any tips of what I could include or make sound more impressive than it is? Also any tips on structuring/length/topic headers etc. would be much appreciated :)

Thanks x

A

Generally an academic CV looks at qualifications first, all else after - the reverse in a way if you were applying for a job in the real world! There is lots out there via Google etc, you should be able to find a template to work off. Also probably examples on the Careers section of your university's website. Or better still the careers section of the uni you are applying for!

From my experience the advice is for work-style CVs not to run over two pages but that you can stretch it a bit for an academic CV, particularly if you feel to need to list your academic achievments module by module.

Any in-house publications would impress [a bit] but I wouldn't try to pretend you have something that you don't. Don't forget poster presentations if you have any. However, you either have a publication or you don't and no academic will be impressed by you trying to pretend.

Be sure to check, check and recheck for typos as they can be enough to get your application thrown in the bin. Also if you cite anybody make sure your referencing is 100%.

Good luck

C

Hi Niksoph

Just to add to Ady's post...

if you haven't got any publications .. fair enough, all started somewhere... BUT .. what about a (wo)man with a plan..

List working papers, target journals, research projects.. what are you going to do.. how and why? why would they want you ? Put yourself in their shoes..

there's nothing like a bit of enthusiasm and a list ;-)

all the best .  Chuff

R

How did you get on Niksoph?? I have applied for a couple PhDs in Psychology starting 2011 and am nervously waiting as the closing date was two days ago!!
Good luck!

C

When I applied for PhDs (Psychology) I didn't have any paid research experience, so I made what I could of the research excperience I did have, so I put extra details of my BSc final year project, MSc project and other small projects completed during the courses etc.

I can't remember exactly what order I put things in but definitely started with academic qualifications, which included the main courses covered during my BSc/MSC. I also quite like starting with a personal statement highlighting who I am, what my interests are and my career aims. I tweak this slightly for each post I apply for.

I think mine ended up 2-3 pages long and it was pretty good at getting me interviews .... it just took me ages to get a PhD because I didn't interview very well!

Good luck with the applications.

N

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up getting shortlisted for interview but didn't actually get the funding in the end. Since then I've applied for another one where I was interviewed and they said they'd take me but didn't have enough funding for everyone so offered me a non-funded PhD!! I took it as good news but couldn't accept as I can't fund myself :(

Anyway, I'm now working back at my old Uni on a bit of an unpaid internship thing... and just doing some random temp work on the side... exciting stuff :p Fingers crossed it'll all work out in the end though and I can wangle some funding from someone! It's getting more frustrating the longer it's taking but got to just see the big picture at the end of it I think! Good luck to you too Rachococo! x

R

Thanks! Found out today I was unsuccessful in the studentship which contacted me and asked me to apply...so waiting to hear on the two others but not feeling very positive anymore:-(
Thinking maybe I need to have a career change if I don't get accepted, there is only so far you can take Psychology without a doctorate, I am so sick of random, temporary Uni jobs!!!!!
I hope things work out for you Niksoph!!