Am I being impatient?

B

So I just need to rant/vent/get this off my chest, because I feel like I'm about to lose my mind!

I've applied to study a Doctorate way back in November as I was informed that the quicker I got my application in, the quicker I would be considered for selection. Turns out this wasn't the case. So I was under the impression that the interviews are in January, February, May and June. Hence why I applied as quick as I did. I work full time and have a child so I literally cannot be waiting around, I needed to do the interview so I know what I'm doing come September.

My own stupid fault for thinking that I would be informed in December for an interview in January. When this became apparent that there was no decision made, I emailed the admissions team who said they would be shortlisting in the beginning of February.... Yet again I've not heard anything. I have called admissions twice who have passed the buck and have said they are not part of the admissions process! I was then told to contact the head of the course (to which he hasn't responded) I've emailed the faculty (they've not responded) and I've managed to find another number which I called on Monday... Wednesday (they said the person in charge would call back, but didn't) and today (surprise surprise, they haven't.)

The reason why I've stepped up my game with contacting them is because I found out on another website that someone else got an interview last week, which completely set me off.

I just want an answer, and somewhere to vent, because I'm literally staring at my phone waiting for the message, or the email. Just a sign or something. Well, I've booked myself on the next open day so if I've not heard something I'll be returning there. Not to have a go, but to be fresh in their memory.

I'm more annoyed because if I had known it would take this long I could have waited and added more information to my application. Now it feels outdated and not my full up to date record.

Thanks for reading, it's cathartic or painful at best!
Bottlebag

P

It sounds like you have not been shortlisted.
Sadly, like employment, most people simply don't contact unsuccessful applicants.
You should probably look elsewhere.

T

keep on checking till you get the concrete answer yes or no. i once had this annoying situ where I'd been not only shortlisted but selected and I wasn't notified (and they thought i had been). not saying this is going to happen but you need to get the concrete answer so you can move on to the next thing. good luck!

C

In my experience of applying for PhDs a few years ago, if you haven't been shortlisted typically you won't hear anything from the University again, not even to say you have not been shortlisted. Its not a good sign that the head of the course hasn't responded, admissions seemingly won't get involved and the person you spoke to on the phone didn't call back when they said they would. What you describe would put me off that particular University. I would strongly advise applying elsewhere.