Any tips for better motivation?

B

Hi, I've noticed that when I sit down and work on my PhD, I've started to experience a physical feeling of dread like something flipping over in my stomach. This doesn't stop me, but it does bring me down and is making the whole thing doubly difficult. Although my work has never been a laugh a minute, I didn't used to feel so low about it. I'd really like to try and get a bit of positivity going on in my brain before it gets any worse. Would be grateful for any ideas.

A

hi beverly....yes, I am familiar with that wonderful feeling of dread everytime you try to study. One thing i have noticed that has helped me is joining the gym- i know you probably can't be bothered, don't have time, money (as i told myself at first)- but, trust me it really does help. I was practically anti-physical exercise in the past but i've noticed all that exercise actually destresses me, gives me more more energy and lets me 'put things into perspective'

A

if you think about the phd 24/7 then that feeling of dread will never disappear- add as much activity and routine into your day as possible- do different things not related to study and set aside a specific time for 'studying'- this time should not include 'worrying time'- i always give myself an hour to 'worry' about my study, then i try to figure out a solution, then i try to study---take the studying in small steps, if you look at it as one big piece you will ofcourse feel overwhelmed and dread it. So i would recommend short small bursts of study- and yoga, it really works!!

L

beverley, i totally feel the same way!! it takes me ages to warm up and start work on my thesis. and i have doubts that i will ever be able to do it. and i too feel this incredible dread of cloud looming over my head..

but what helps me, is to take little steps, not to think of my thesis all in one go, but just work on one piece of the puzzle. like a jigsaw puzzle. i know i can't put it all together in one day. so i just work on the one piece a day. and just focus on that.

making deadlines helps aswell.

L

and also allowing myself to make a mess, i.e just write rubbish, the fear usually stems from having to write perfectly and my first attempt at a section of a chapter, to come out perfect.

once i allow myself to just write any old crap, in whateaver grammer and nonsense, i find it more "freeing"... then i can worry about tidying it up later on. and that maybe there will be some interesting work and insight in the madness, so to speak.. some hidden rough diamond in the rubbish i have written, usually comes about.

this works for me. yesterday i worked on a "zero draft", it's not good enough to call it a first draft, but it's better than a blank piece of paper. and i just wrote and wrote, in whatever way i felt like it. and today it feels good that i have something now, to work on and improve. although now i'm having trouble to make it fit enough to send to my supervisor today.

L

keeping a daily writing diary, really helps me too. that way i can track my progress, and have something to work towards. knowing that at the end of my working day, i have to declare how many productive hours i have spent on my thesis, how many words i have written, or what i have accomplished, which kinda helps keep me motivated.

and knowing everyone else on this forum is going through the same thing, and i'm not alone, helps aswell..

also, try rewards.

tell yourself, you have to write X number of words a day, or X number of pages, or spend X number of hours (productive hours where you are actually "working" and not just sitting there)... then treat yourself, once you've accomplished it.

sort of like, no dessert until you've eaten your veggies.

figure out what you like to do, then that can be your "reward"..

L

angie , i like your exercise idea. i have to start exercising, otherwise i will get fat, from just eating and sitting and writing!!

L

sometimes beverley, when i am REALLY struggling, i get my timer, and set it to 10 or 15 minutes, and tell myself, i only have to work for 15 minutes, and then i can do something else. usually that's enough for the ball to get rolling, and i continue to work even after the timer goes off.

or i say to myself i ONLY have 15 minutes left (like as if i am in an exam room) and by that time, i will have to email my supervisor with what i have. (even though i know logically i don't have to email my supervisor - but i pretend, that if my supervisor after 15mins asked to see what i have done, i would have "something" to show her)...

i am struggling with motivation and can't seem to pull it together, to tidy up my zero draft to send to my supervisor, so i'm going to try the timer thing right now! i need to send it to my supervisor within the next couple of hours!!

A

Yes, keep away from this forum! It's a great time-waster.

G

Re the physical exercise aspect, I find swimming at the local baths a good fillip. It costs me £7-50 (SU card rates) for unlimited monthly swimming, and as well as the exercise you get to have a chat with a different (non-education) crowd. I go at 7 am in the morning so hardly interferes with my day.

P

Where on earth can you swim for 7.50£ month????!
I live in Oxford and the absolute cheapest I can go swimming for is £2.80/swim or else c.£30/month.... :(
xx

G

Sunny (in fact not so sunny) Blackpool at my local leisure centre. An Aqua card is normally £15 unlimited. With SU discount its half. There has to be some perks to being a student, and I am in the North.

A

Lots of golf courses in Blackpool?

B

Thanks so much for all your responses - I really appreciate them all and there are a few things mentioned which wouldn't have occurred to me. I think I'll try swimming - I do have a tendency be a bit lazy physically so maybe it would help.

(Golfpro, I spend quite a lot of time in sunny Blackpool actually... as my mother lives there!)

G

Palatine Leisure Centre (next to the school) then Beverley. Opens at 7. Very cheap if you're a student.

And yes lots of GC on the Fylde (Blackpool) coast Aloha. Royal Lytham (of course), Fairhaven, St. Annes Old Links, Green Drive, DeVere's Herons Reach to name the more celebrated.