any tips?

J

Oh well in that case do a very brief synopsis of cv but I woudln't put the degree classification on.

Can you pick out some of the research themes in the subject then and say how you could contribute. The other stuff to get in (if you can) is the generic stuff on engaging the public with your research (it's getting to be a bigger topic - vitae ran a workshop in Manchester in July and there were loads of ideas about that) adn enterprise work (if appropriate). They are research related but increasingly government is looking for research relevance to the rest of the world.

thanks for the tips JC. Luckily all my research has been applied/in organisations. So I'm going to highlight that (because I know people there often end up doing student questionnaires instead), and going to highlight interdisciplinary stuff - I know they're looking to expand that.

This is not a nice task!

I'm nearly there, I've done.

very brief outline of research experience
what skills I've gained from this
(I think I need something here about how directly this will relate to the uni)
Very brief outline of teaching experience
Teaching skills
Consulanty experience and skills

I'm not sure whether to pick out modules from their course list and say "and I think I could contribute to these modules" - I'm worried I may run the risk of a) putting someones nose out of joint i.e. the existing course leader, b) looking stupid by suggesting a non-related module by mistake

J

How about having that one up your sleeve so that if they ask you you can whip it out? I got thrown in an interview once where they asked me that quesiton.

The other one I got thrown with was which books would you recommend for this course - you just don't know whether the one you think is dull and boring is their favourite becuase it is sufficiently academic and teh one you like for being lively with good case studies they think is dumbed down.

A

Hi Sneaks

Sorry for appearing to go AWOL, - I've had trouble posting in the last 24hrs, and I was wondering if it was related to soliciting (stars).

You've had some excellent advice from Jepsonclough, - specially on taking a strategic approach, and not filling charts with generic cv information. Sounds as though you've ample experience, and are a credible candidate. Rehearse, check your timings and good luck.

its occurred to me that I need a slide about what I'm doing next i.e. applying for research grants and publications, do you think that's a good idea?

C

heck yes .. i think that's a fab idea.. in fact that slide should have glitter on it.

all the best, is it this week ?

yep, this week, I'm getting v nervous and snappy with hubs :$

At the mo, I've swapped round the teaching and research sections, so I have teaching first. THis is because I think I need an 'conclusion' slide, which I guess would need info about what I want to do in the next year, but also a summary of why I'm the best/the ideal candidate. I'm just not sure what to put on it - its blank at the mo :$

C

Why not look at it another way.

In compiling the slides go from past, to present and then to future.. think in terms of a journey. ( do i sound nuts now? (turkey) )

then your future could include the fab grants, research etc and the crescendo being a well worded summary of ( because of this future) why you're the best for the job.

Nervousness is just excitement misdirected (up) feeling is the same. It gives you the oomph you need to perform at your best.

At least this is what i tell myself... it does work being delusional ;-)

i wish you all the best...

Well it went really well, and I got some really good comments. I don't know if I've got it BUT one of the other candidates already worked there and was married to one of the department heads, so...... :-s

P

Quote From sneaks:

I don't know if I've got it BUT one of the other candidates already worked there and was married to one of the department heads, so...... :-s

Ouch :(

I've got my fingers crossed for you anyway.

yeah, I kind feel like they should have just opened up a window and shouted "F*** OFF" as they saw my car driving up to the building - would have saved us all some time lol.

W

I've got my fingers crossed for you, Sneaks. I hope it doesn't descend into nepotism.

C

don't take this the wrong way sneaks... but this has made me laugh out loud. so thanks for that ;-)

Hope you're wrong though, working with partner would be a lot of people's idea of hell so .... everything crossed.

Quote From sneaks:

yeah, I kind feel like they should have just opened up a window and shouted "F*** OFF" as they saw my car driving up to the building - would have saved us all some time lol.

glad to be of service Chuff! She's already working there, so they've probably already worked out all of the working-with-partner issues.