anyone want to mark 10 undergraduate essays?

C

I'll pay ya double!

Reallly bored of them now. it's lovely outside, I've got a bit of a headache, and i want to go to the gym then the pub and NOT SIT HERE MARKING THESE (generally) NOT VERY GOOD ESSAYS!

D

You have my sympathies, takes me back to marking coursework! I always found a large glass of wine helped... followed by the rest of the bottle...

J

We really need to know the topic so we can decide whether the gym/pub is preferable ;-)

S

You have my sympathy but i'll pass on that. I marked 84 recently and the thought of looking at another essay makes me feel ill!

Keep going and you'll be at the gym and pub before you know it. It is rubbish though, I know.

S

PS - maybe you should mark them IN the pub!

J

Quote From slowmo:

PS - maybe you should mark them IN the pub!

I often go to a cafe to mark where I am not distracted by e-mail, postgrad forum facebook etc etc - haven't tried the pub yet though

C

How good am I went to the gym, then went home to mark and didn't go to the pub! (well you've gotta blow your own trumpet sometimes even if it is for doing the work that needs doing rather than drinking! Next time I'm definitely doing them in the pub....though always have the fear of handing them back with red wine stains! (one of this lot does seem to have my dinner on it :$)

Essays were on hypnosis. A topic that should be interesting but somehow isn't! They had the choice of doing one on lie detectors which I think would have been way more interesting and only 1 student in the year picked it!

D

*cough* I would never ever have marked them in the pub *cough cough*

*cough* And certainly never with fellow PhD students who had ones to mark too and sit around laughing at how bad some of them were *cough cough*

J

Dan you are outrageous (thankfully!)

That reminds me of a summer job I had when I was an undergrad - working for the JMB (not sure if it still exists but it was the Northern Exam Boards for O levels (if anyone remembers them) and A levels.  Our job was to check that every page had been marked, marks had been all transferred correctly to the front and then correctly added up and transferred to the common mark sheet. What we actually did quite a lot of the time was read bits out to each other and snigger.  The big excitement was when you got an unknown code on the front and you had to find out what it meant - I had one (which was on huge A0 tech drawing paper) which turned out to mean cheating.

Happy days:-)