Are you affraid of failing the PhD?

T

:-(

Title says it all. I met a lecturer and the lecturer told me to make sure I'm well read with my field (with such a sinister face). The lecturer also told me to get to know some of the potential examiners as well. They also shared some stories about how other PhD candidates failed their Viva...

Before this I was doing fine, now I'm scared = /

D

If The Fear motivates you, then keep it up! I found that a little bit of sweat running down my neck as I am witing has a positive effect on my progress.

However, a lot of stress makes me feel useless, depressed and eventually I find myself in the state of non-productive panic.

D

Yes, I think a certain amount of fear is better than complacency.

A

I know how you feel, but fear is quite a normal feeling. It is obvious that you want to do a great job, so you become nervous when you think of failing. Don't stress out, just keep doing a good job and even if you fail (which I hope you won't!), you will know that you did your best.

M

Fail? Of course I do. I only get another chance. If I resubmit my thesis and it is not good enough they will give me the Mphil instead and I will have wasted 6 years of my life. But for me an R&R is not a fail but a second chance to improve my work.

T

Quote From alinealine:

I know how you feel, but fear is quite a normal feeling. It is obvious that you want to do a great job, so you become nervous when you think of failing. Don't stress out, just keep doing a good job and even if you fail (which I hope you won't!), you will know that you did your best.

*hugs*

H

i have read some awful stories as well, and it's not helpful at all.

I think passing PhD is also depends on the matter of luck........:-S

T

Quote From Human:

I think passing PhD is also depends on the matter of luck........:-S

That what the lecturer said to!

W

======= Date Modified 05 Oct 2012 11:36:59 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
of course you will be scared of failing but if you put in the time and effort and have good guidance you CANT FAIL.

Good luck mate!

*edited by mods - advertising removed*

P

======= Date Modified 05 Oct 2012 12:01:05 =======
I think almost every PhD candidate worries about failing their PhD viva (ie failing outright at viva or leaving viva with an MPhil outcome).

I most certainly feared failing prior to my viva last year and I'm anxiously waiting for examiners results in a few weeks time following a resubmission (I don't consider a resubmission as a failure, just a second chance, although some may well view a resubmission as a failure!). I'm sitting here desperately hoping they approve my thesis corrections, trying to stay positive and push thoughts of PhD failure out of my mind (which isn't easy, even at this final stage!).

T

Quote From Pineapple30:

======= Date Modified 05 Oct 2012 12:01:05 =======
I think almost every PhD candidate worries about failing their PhD viva (ie failing outright at viva or leaving viva with an MPhil outcome).

I most certainly feared failing prior to my viva last year and I'm anxiously waiting for examiners results in a few weeks time following a resubmission (I don't consider a resubmission as a failure, just a second chance, although some may well view a resubmission as a failure!). I'm sitting here desperately hoping they approve my thesis corrections, trying to stay positive and push thoughts of PhD failure out of my mind (which isn't easy, even at this final stage!).

*hugs you also*

I'm sure you'll pass this! :)

B

I was scared of failing my PhD from the start. My second go at a PhD that is. I'd had to leave another one (full-time science, unlike the part-time humanities second one) after falling long-term seriously ill. And so to have another go took a lot of courage, and meant I had concerns that other people don't generally have. Right from before I started it, at the very beginning, through to the end.

But I got there. And you can too. The best thing you can do is to give it your best shot. View it as an opportunity to be seized. Enjoy it.

Good luck!

L

Yes, I'm worried about the viva though I should probably be far more worried about getting to that point than what's going to happen when I get there.