Away from PhD work...

M

When/if you ever get any free time, what are your real passions in life - something you can do to get away from the work for a bit, or that is very important to you?

I'll start with mine - Preston North End. Sadly, one of the main reasons why I want to stay up north for my PhD... What about everyone else?

B

what is preston north end? i don't understand how this is a passion?

M

Aha - where are you from Bobby btw? Preston North End (or PNE for short) are my local football team - I go and watch pretty much every match. Sad I know, but hey...

B

Matthew, you must be happy about Cardiff City's dip in form then. I follow the bluebirds but dont watch them. I like playing golf to relax but it takes too long to complete a round (approx 4 hrs).

Good luck for season, I reckon its Preston and Cardiff for automatic promotion!!

M

Not happy about Cardiff's dip as I'd like them to go up. As long as Derby don't go up with us I'll be happy

A

I sing in a choir, absolutely love it - the beauty of harmony and all the voices together, in fact, have a concert tomorrow, on the occasion of World-AIDS day.

A

photography! I recently bought a digital camera though I'm still not 100% persuaded it beats my ol ' good medium format one

I upload some stuff here http://forgetphotography.com/blog

Now if only I could convince the admissions tutors that photography *can* blend in with social sciences!

...and i'm a bit embarrassed to say i'm a leeds fan

G

I still reckon Sheff Wed have an outside shot at promotion

Though as long as we finish above Leeds I'll be happy

J

I'm really into salsa dance and I'm in an all girl dance troupe called Las Salseras.

We'll be doing a show in two weeks. Are there any other salsa luvvies out there !!!

A

lol gizmo

that won't be that hard now will it

This is a Phd forum, this is a phd forum, not a football one (slaps himself)

M

Hey Gizmo - I've lived in Sheffield for the past 4 years and have to say I'd go for the Owls every time. As for Leeds - after what they did to us in the play offs last season, it's hilarious what's happening now.

Oh, and as for this being a PhD forum - you can do a PhD in history and culture of football. How do you know that I'm not...

N

I also sing in a choir - today we have our Christmas concert!!!

But since my PhD is in music it's not much of a break for me, I sometimes find myself analysing (from an academic point of view) the songs we sing rather than just enjoy them!

Anyway, I like writing too (creative writing I mean, not academic writing) and of course reading (not papers but novels, poems, etc.).

F

I have decided to retake up photography after xmas, so come on those January sales (doing my research now as to what camera I want). All the best for the concert Nimrod81, I am listening to spoof xmas songs this year, no carols here.

C

I'm embarassed to say that I am a Middlesbrough supporter...

Still, we can beat Chelsea...