Career development loans

K

Has anyone had a career development loan from one of the banks that offer them?
I've heard mixed reviews about them was wandering what people thought.

B

You can only get them for very specific programmes, like postgrad. law medicine accountancy etc. You can't get them for general masters or PhDs

K

Ok, thanks

L

Thats not true, you should be able to get one for most courses where there is'nt a compulsory loan or grant, and is regardless of what subject it is (phd or Masters).

I have one for my Masters in computing, which is not the medical, accountancy lists.

P

I took out a CDL for my MSc!

It really helped. I was also allowed to 'top' up my loan at the end of my course to tie me over until I started receiving my studenthship funds for my PhD. The high amounts coming out of my account each month aren't that fun though! It will take 3 yrs or so to pay it off (something like that) so hopefully it will be paid off by the time I get a mortage after my PhD.

P

By the way, my MSc was in Research Methods in Psychology.

Im not sure whether such a course would be defined as a 'general' course. I think I said that the MSc in Research Methods was an important degree to have for progressing into research into psychology, and to gain access to a PhD and clinical doctorate courses....

K

Ok thanks.
Im doing a MA in Social Work and the GCSS pay £3000 towards tuition fees but ar Warwick they cost £5000 so i need to find the extra money so i'll look into it futher.

K

I meant the GSCC not the GCSS!

S

I couldn't get one for my Masters

To be honest the terms of the payments/interest was MUCH worse than the standard loan I took out instead. The repayment holiday was less than the CRL, but the interest I pay back is several grand less

K

I've just found out im not eligable one anyway!
As i get a bursary from the GSCC which is a government body i cant apply.

R

Oh no, I was going to try and apply for one too. Do you know of anywhere else we can apply to?

K

Haven't looked into anymore since i found out so im not sure!
I haven't heard of any others that start repayments after the course is finished which was a advantage of the CDL!

S

Check out www.moneysavingexpert.com for information on the best loans at the moment, the best bank accounts for students etc. Great website if money is tight!

K

Thanks, will have a look at that

S

Hey there, apoligies for dragging up this old thread but I was wondering pineapple: any chance this was the MSc at UKC? As I'm starting that in 2 weeks