Certain odd jobs vs potential 'real' position

L

Hi everyone,

I've recently finished my PhD and facing a lot of insecurity. My supervisor mentioned potentially having a postdoc for me, but he's not got back to me about it after I repeatedly checked. Now, university is offering me a few teaching hours - basically 1 a week for the whole school year on top of potential other hours and research assistant work I'm doing at the moment (just 20hrs/month and ending in December).

On the other hand I've been applying for work. I feel I'm at the age where I should finally start building a pension, and stop working odd jobs and living month to month. I am waiting to hear back from a few positions I'm very interested in.

Basically, what it boils down to is my question is: is it not done to quiet a associate lecturer position of just 1hr/week halfway through - or sooner - to pursue something else? Is it common practice? Would I be burning bridges with no going back?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

E

Hello. Do not feel sorry for yourself. It is the cruel academia not you. You definitely deserve better. Keep on applying for real positions in academia and everywhere else. The only way to get out of this is to apply everywhere and keep applying until you have a "real concrete" job offer that somehow satisfies your goals. I wish you all the best.

T

Hi Lalalup

Could you rephrase the final question you ask, as I don't quite follow. Thanks!

Tudor

L

Quote From Tudor_Queen:
Hi Lalalup

Could you rephrase the final question you ask, as I don't quite follow. Thanks!

Tudor

Ah, sorry about that! Just wondering if I should accept the 1hr/a week (alongside potential for more work) offer for a year while keep looking for jobs elsewhere or will it be u acceptable to leave after say, 4, 18, 25 weeks?

B

Check the contract - there will probably be a notice period. But personally in your shoes I would absolutely apply for f/t jobs, take anything offered and quit.

L

Quote From bewildered:
Check the contract - there will probably be a notice period. But personally in your shoes I would absolutely apply for f/t jobs, take anything offered and quit.

You are right of course. I will do this. Thanks to you both for your kind words.

Do all the uni work you can do while looking for jobs. There is nothing wrong with quitting for a better job when the time comes.