Change in viva date :-(

W

My viva date has been moved back to towards the end of March due to unspecified circumstances on the part of the external examiner. This annoys me slightly because it doesn't help my finances or my sense of sanity. I suppose it gives me longer to prepare, but it really drags things out. Eurgh, and it's Valentine's Day as well, so all the newspapers are even worse than usual. From 'Valentine's Day Around the World' in the Guardian to 'How to Improve Your Stamina' in the Daily Mirror, I just want to be sick - bleurrghhh! The radio's going to be terrible entertainment tonight, I just know it. It's going to be people ringing in going, 'I love you my ickle sweet princess' and 'Shazza, love, will yer marry mi?!' I'm having a love - in with my thesis and we're playing a cute game of spot-the-typo.
Sorry, just needed to vent :$

P

oh no :( so sorry to hear that, and we were all so impressed at how quickly they were going to do your viva. However, since it's unspecified, it could be for personal reasons, such as bebravement in the family or something similar that would make it very hard for the examiner to read your thesis in detail within the time given.

I know it's super frustrating and if it was me, I'd be doing a bit more than venting on here but I am sure there was a very good reason for this (I wouldn't think they would make such a decision lightly) and they have been professional enough to say that they can't do a good job in the time frame.

D

I know these things can't be helped but I'd be hopping mad. (turkey)

D

Not a lot I can say in comfort other than I can sympathise how intensely frustrating it must be. I would be miffed as well!

So vent away :-)

C

Don't worry WalmartPeeWee, you'll be a doctor soon and next Valentine's the ladies will be fighting over you.

L

======= Date Modified 15 Feb 2011 09:40:18 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
-inappropriate content-

D

I avoided all mention of valentines by getting stuck into proof-reading my thesis, what a fun evening that was! Also playing spot-the-typo and worryingly I haven't found any yet.

I can totally sympathise with you over the viva date change. I think we focus so much on this date being the beginning of the end of our PhD journey. Putting this back means that the finale won't start for another few weeks, such a disappointment. However, I can also see that if the external examiner has had extenuating circumstances they will not be able to give your thesis the attention it deserves. It will give you a bit more time for viva prep and the time delay is very small given the time you have spent on it. Perhaps take a few days away from the thesis for some relaxing and reflection.

L

I feel for you!!

My viva got cancelled because of all the problems with the snow and my external's flight was too delayed. Not much fun finding that out half an hour before my viva was due to begin, specially as it had taken me three hours to get to uni, a journey which normally takes about half an hour and I had left really early to make sure I would get there. As much as it is extremely frustrating, there is nothing you can do about it so try to make it into something positive. Have a week or two off from your thesis, then go back and use the extra time to read up on things you might find useful :-)

W

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It will give me longer to prepare, but it's just the waiting game that gets to me. Oh, and the Jobcentre - another month of ducking and diving before I can apply for the jobs that I really want. The one danger is, they'll make me apply for something and I'll end up getting it. I don't think any employer is going to be too understanding if I say, 'Can I have a day off to go for an exam?' Or, 'I've got an interview for a job that I really want. Please can I take some time off to attend the interview?'

C

How horrible, you'll have geared yourself up like a finely tuned racehorse... and now need to back track. I feel for you.

what about journal or conference papers ? are you doing any ? maybe spend the "extra" time doing that and then get back to the tuning.

C

Hey - congratulations on submitting Wally! Best of luck for the viva!!!!! :) (up)