Co-authorship with Supervisor !

S

Hi friends,

As you know I passed the viva with no correction 2 weeks back. My examiners were very pleased & asked to send the chapters to publish in a journal in which the external is also one of the editors. I have been considering that. Here, my supervisor is now insisting to write jointly. I know it is good for me too to be linked with her but I have some confusions ! What role will she have here? Is the co-authorship fair in whatever I have done? I am in humanities - is it normal to have supervisor as co-author? Which is better - sole authorship or joint? I do not understand how co-authorship fits here? I am confused & cannot decide anything.Please suggest !!! Swetch

R

======= Date Modified 19 Nov 2012 13:00:10 =======
Firstly congratulations on passing your Viva, and with no corrections! Well done!

I always thought it was standard practice in academia to publish work jointly authored with you supervisor? Even if the supervisor didn't actually do anything to contribute.

D

I co-authored one paper with my supervisor, but he contributed a great deal to the paper. He wouldn't expect it otherwise, I don't think.

A

Hi Swetch,

Congratulations!

Did your supervisor help you when you wrote your chapter?
If yes, I guess it would be fair to list her as a contributor/editor. I think that if you list her as a co-author, that would mean that your wrote everything together or at least equal parts.
I can't say what is better - solo or joint authorship, because it is important to have both.

Keep me posted!

S

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am planning to write articles from next week. Indeed, my supervisor was very nice & her suggestions were very important while writing the thesis & I would definitely love to be co-author with her. One thing I am not clear at the moment is whether co-authored articles would be counted while applying researchers or post doc roles. Since I do not have research publications, I am bit worried. Looks like got to have some solo articles as well. Please suggest. Swetch

D

I am in a science PhD: we always publish as a team. The first author is the person who did the work, last person is the boss. Generally the more authors, the more important the publication.Clearly things work different in your field.

D

I've heard the record for the number of authors for one paper (in science of course!) is 150...