Dealing with homesickness during fieldwork?

N

Hi everyone, I've not even left for fieldwork yet and I already feel miserable! I'm going to a foreign country for 3 months of fieldwork in just over a week and everyone keeps telling me how exciting it is and how lucky I am. Yes, I do feel lucky because it's a unique experience that not many people get. However, in all honesty I'm not looking forward to it despite trying my best to think positively about the trip.

I know my husband and I are going to miss each other terribly. We both get very downhearted when we're apart and find it difficult to be productive. We also worry a lot about each other's safety. As I will be a young single woman alone, I get very wary of going outside a lot by myself, especially after dark, so I tend to stay at home a lot. Sexual harassment is a problem in the country I'm going to and I'm finding myself getting quite frightened of it. Also, making friends will pretty much be out of the question as I won't be in any kind of scholarly community and not many local people speak English. I speak a bit of the local language though so I can get by.

The nature of my fieldwork means I can't plan a lot of stuff ahead and I'll have to organise stuff when I'm there so I'm scared things won't go well and I won't be able to access the material that I need. Speaking to government types fills me with dread, as does navigating public transport across a really big unknown country.

I know I need to stop being so neurotic but if anyone has some specific coping mechanisms, I'd really like to hear about them.

M

What field are you reading and where are you heading too? Let me guess... Middle East?

You are describing my life. I have been travelling abroad quite a lot... usually visiting third world countries as part of my research on human rights. Last year I was abroad for 2.5 months.

But if your husband loves you and respects your research, then he will be fine with you going away. He will accept it without complains.
So, help him to help yourself. After all, he can always come and visit you. My husband came to visit me last year. It was great!