Do any of you have just one supervisor?

H

I'm just wondering if any of you have one supervisor only?

I'm in the final year. My second supervisor is taking unexpected leave at the moment (she doesn't know how long), and I'm wondering whether I should insist on getting another supervisor on board in the meanwhile?

Is it too risky to go along with just one supervisor?

Z

I just have one supervisor. Many people in my department do as there aren't enough to go around really. Some do have second supervisors but rely mostly on their primary so it has never phased me.

I have never had any major issues having just one supervisor. The only time I wished I had a second was when my sup was extremely busy and took months to get feedback to me. However, now I am in the final year (writing up) they tend to get feedback to me fairly quickly and it is very detailed.

The question of whether it is 'too risky' depends entirely on your views about your supervisor. Do you feel they will provide timely and valuable feedback? Will they have enough time to meet with you when you are facing your final months?

H

Zutterfly, thanks. He says he will have time so I'm hoping it'll be OK.

T

I do have two supervisors, but I only work with the first supervisor. My second supervisor has no input whatsoever in my research. I have never sat down with him to discuss my PhD but nonetheless, I am quite happy with my 1st supervisor. I take it that's the arrangement that works well for both of them since they're friends.

P

I have two supervisors but the second person has no knowledge of what I do. Having said that, I dont really have much dealings with my first supervisor either and have only meet up every few months to report progress. Exactly how I like it.

C

I have one supervisor who is my lab's PI but a couple of other advisors who are PIs. Not directly related to my project but there to impartially make sure me and my primary supervisor aren't chasing down a blind alley to Masters land.