Does anyone enjoy their PhD?

J

I wish to introduce some sunny thoughts onto this forum, to cheer ourselves up a bit and maybe motivate people who feel their PhD is the pits. Does anyone here have anything positive to share about their PhD? I will start:

I love doing my PhD! Sometimes I get really down (and come here for inspiration!) and wonder what the heck I am pretending to achieve but generally I really enjoy it and take each day *almost* in my stride. I love my topic. I love having a 'brainwave' moment. I love thinking and pondering about ideas... I love that I don't have to sit in an office every day being told what to do - I am my own boss (mostly...) I do have time off and a life AND a PhD routine...

There's more but this will do for now!

Anyone else?

C

I like it Especially when everything works and I get to find exciting data that make me think
And I like having a great supervisor who is very excited about my work

J

Me too - my sup is fantastic as well.

S

I feel like that some of the time, but less than I used to. I guess people tend to feel more like posting when they are not feeling so positive (me included). I find there are certain parts of the work that I have to keep at the front of my mind to keep my enthusiasm up. There is nothing like it though, in those times when something suddenly clicks into place and you jump up the ladder (the snakes are not so great).

I think a lot of us are better at expressing negative feelings than positive ones. I guess we should practice more

O

I LOVE my research and my PhD--most of the time! Yes, it has its not so great moments, but overall I am very enthused about that.

B

I'm still loving it, 4 years down the line, half-time, so in for the long haul! My only regret is that I'm long-term seriously ill and can't throw myself at the PhD as much as I'd like. But as far as I'm able to I adore it. Even during the tough patches.

R

its just great, so different than anything else...it controls your life and mood on a DAILY basis!....2 days ago i posted about how lonely i feel and now its gone...haha love it.

T

I also enjoy my PhD most of the time!! It has also made me a stronger person generally!!

B

Love it. Almost every element of it.

A

I love love love my PhD. I have had three major pitfalls so far (coming up to the end of my first year) and I'm so proud of the way I've dealt with them.

A

T

nice! good to hear a lot of PhD lovers .. though love always brings hatred from time to time; like in a relationship ..

O

Sometimes I love my PhD best when I turn off the computer for the day/evening/night...though at times I dream about it, and sometimes my best ideas come during my dreams!!!!

R

yeah same here...i tend to be cleverer when im asleep..

S

I love it as well, but I guess when I'm happy and all is well in PhD land I can cope very well. Its when all hell breaks and drained that I turn to the forum and ask for life saving tips. I can't wait till I submit and get thourgh viva with DR. to my name. I have learned a lot thorugh my time with the PhD. Most of all being phased my nothing!

J

I am so glad to hear so much love!