Fail

S

The title says the true result of my PhD. I recently got too many unforeseen troubles academic as well as non academic. Having an extremely short period of notice I am forced to wind up whatever I have written and going to submit it. I know there are going to be major political games since my supervisor hates me and I will fail PhD or will get MPhil. It is not superficial feeling or just my perception.

Anyone has any idea about what to do with failed PhD? If I would take MPhil will I be able to get PhD on the same topic from the different uni? As long as I know the PhD thesis should constitute the original work. How one can get PhD by publications?

Is there any other way? I will be so grateful for your help.

M

First of all, keep your hopes up. You may get a revise and resubmit, which gives you more time to prepare a better thesis.

C

Hi Sunnychicka

Don't give up yet. There's still time for you to finish your thesis and submit it. I faced the same problem as you because I had to come back home and work for my sponsor; however I knew that my thesis was far from perfect. After one month in my home country, I decided to submit my work online to my uni in the UK. And from my sup's comments, I knew he was not that ecstatically happy with my finished work.

I will be having my viva in September. I'm just keeping my hopes up and praying that everything goes well for me. I can't afford to think negative thoughts because almost everything has gone haywire ever since I came back home !

B

Do as much as you can with the time you have, submit, and then just wait to see what the examiners come back with. As marasp said, you may well get a revise and resubmit.

All the best.

S

Thank you so much marasp, charliebrown and Barramack. Your words mean so much to me. I am at the verge when only positive support can save me or I will die. Sorry for such a negative thought and feelings but I am under immense pressure. I havent been through such feelings ever in my life. I am trying my best but I need at least few days more. I am going to request the Graduate school to give me at least 2 weeks. Even though in this pressure I managed to come up with good work but my supervisor creates so many problems and does not support me at all. He took away his support all of a sudden. Well at the moment I do not need his support I will write on my own but his constant bullying is damaging me. I am so afraid of him. I already have faced enough humiliation from him that now the struggle is not only for the degree but also for dignity. There is no transparent system. It is like I am judged only on the basis of my supervisor's comments. Am not I an independent research student? Cant anyone care to review and decide what I have done so far rather than believing what he projects? I am exploring some big loopholes in the current system. Anyways but that is not the point of discussion at the moment.

@ charlibrown: I can totally understand your feelings. Good luck to you and I hope you will conquer the battle.

Thank you all.

M

Be positive and stay positive. Try to organise your timing right, your priority is your thesis. Focus on things that make you happy - your pet, your partner - stay away from anything negative.

Your deadline will motivate you. Motivation can work miracles. No matter what happens, thing positive because you are reaching the end of your troubles.

PERSEVERE!

S

Hey Mara!

Thanks for encouragement. But the problem is I feel so helpless. Even though my uni guidelines clearly states that the decision of submission is upto student, my supervisor, research director of the dept and some of the Graduate school personnels are advising me not to submit. Which puts me in a helpless stage. The advices I am getting particularly from Graduate school are so contradictory(even in the single meeting). I am afraid that I will fail as these all people have significant role to perform in the examination.

I am forced to take up leave for more than 6 months which I do not want. Even in the future I have to rely on my supervisor and dept to decide whether I should submit or not. This is ridiculous. I feel so controlled and there is no one who can hear me. They all make opinions on the basis of what my supervisor says.

I am feeling trapped!