grumpy student? (me, not the undergrads)

Hi all , I've just started a life drawing class, had my second session tonight. The thing is, I did this years and years ago at A'level and going back to it is really making me see how I have changed as a person and I'm wondering how much of it has to do with the PhD and teaching experiences I've had.

I find myself thinking the tutors are talking horse manure quite often and passing arbitrary personal value judgementsas though they are facts, and it's really offending my sense of artistic decency and good practice, and I found myself wanting to tech them how to talk about drawings in a omore constructive way. Anyhow, I am not the teacher here, although I did make my point quite clearly in the group. Do you think the PhD experiences raises our expectations? And our capacity for vocalising it? I've always been confident in those situations, but now it seems as though I have gone off the scale on that score.

I do really enjoy the class, but I can't help saying when they keep repeating this dogmatic rubbish about the drawings as if the more they say it the more we'll believe it. Am I destined, as a PhD student and lecturer, to be a cranky renegade in any classroom situation from here on in? Or do you think this is a one off situation?

D

Probably a one off situation in terms of how bad the tutors in your class are, but having said that, I think as PhD students we spend so much time critically evaluating the work of other writers in our field, and our own results and work, that evaluation becomes second nature and its hard not to do it automatically everywhere. I'm sure I'm less inclined now to tolerate what is clearly rubbish for the sake of 'not rocking the boat'. You were absolutely right to express your views in this obviously bad situation, and suspect the other students and probably the tutors were admiring your integrity and interest in the class, rather than thinking you were a 'cranky renegade'. Your tutors will hopefully use your feedback to improve their teaching: if no-one complains they won't realise they have a problem.

M

Eska
I found myself in a similar situation when I went to a creative night-class run by the local council adult education. I was so frustrated with the poor teaching method of the tutor that I ended up leaving rather than sitting there simmering with frustration, or ( worse) giving her 'constructive feedback'.
She was trying her best I am sure, but I think that my teaching training and experiences, and PhD-tuned critical faculties are starting to make me realise I too my be a 'cranky renegade in any classroom situation from here on in' too!
Goodness only knows what I would be like on a PTA committee. Must make a mental note to avoid volunteering for these when the time comes!
matilda

C

I think a lot of it is about finding the right teacher, one you respect and are interested in what they have to say.

A few years ago I had to drop out two weeks ito a 10 week yoga course beacuse the utter b*ll*cks the woman was spouting made me want to beat her with my yoga mat! I went to another class, where the guy also talked a load of rubbish (and quite a lot of sense!) but did it in and interesting and humourous way! I miss those yoga classes now I've moved cities.

======= Date Modified 24 Sep 2010 15:42:57 =======
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, I guess it just goes with the territory of knowing a subject at a high level and being a teacher... I spoke to my artists friend last night and she wa taught by the horse manure man a lng time ago, apparently he's famous for it. So I've decided to keep going as long as I can and attempt to block out the drivel while enjoying drawing the models, who are very good.

Catalin, the idea of being driven to want to beat a yoga instructor round the head with a yoga matt during a lesson made me roar with laughter. I have acquired a Robin and don't know why. hmmm.

(robin)

F

======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 11:35:20 =======

U

Teehee! I'm completely fascinated to hear what the teacher was saying. Sounds like it might have been a bit of a duff class tbh. In general, I think it's important you're comfortable in the 'learning' environment, especially if it's a wind-down activity.

I'm going to one of the dr. sketchy events (night-time burlesque life-drawing) with my old art school buddies. Praps that'd be more up your street?

x