Help! Can't decide between two studentships

A

I have been offered two studentships and I am trying to decide which one to choose. This is the scenario:

Offer A:
* University does not have a great ranking, but it is in a country I really like in Western Europe.
* Topic is linked to my MSc thesis. Extremely interesting but lots of things left to learn.
* I don't know anything about my potential supervisor.
* 3 year programme.

Offer B:
* Red brick university with good ranking, but in a country I don't think I'd like (one of the Baltic States).
* Topic is linked to my many years of work experience, which gives me significant leverage, as acknowledged by my potential supervisor.
* Seasoned supervisor.
* 4 year programme.

Which one do you think I should choose? How important is the reputation of the university when it comes to finding a job afterwards? What other factors do you consider important when weighing options like these ones?
Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

R

I think you have to do it in a place you like so I would chose option A. The reason I say this is because the chances of you completing a PhD in a place you dont like are slim. If possible, visit the universities and try to find out a bit more about them

V

I can't tell what should YOU chose, but I'd go with the option b.
- The country you like will be there after you graduate and land a good job.
- 4 good years in country you like vs. better rest of the life
- more things to do correlates with more destruction (at least for me)

hope this helps
-vak
http://opal.biology.gatech.edu/~vardges/

S

I think I'd also go for option B. You need to deceide what will work best for your PhD. If you can draw on your work experience and have a good supervisor lined up, this sounds more promising than starting a PhD where you know less and don't know your supervisor. Being some place you like less than other places isn't also a bad thing - it can motivate you to do the PhD and get out of there - a long as you don't think you'd really hate it and be depressed.