Holiday after conference

C

Hey. I am going to the US this summer to present some work at a conference. My department pays for everything. I would just like to ask you if it's possible for me to stay longer and use my return ticket a week later or so, as I have some friends who live in the US and who I'd like to visit. I know I will have to ask my supervisor/department but I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a holiday after a conference.

N

It should be fine as long you're not asking the uni to pay for extra accommodation/food/domestic travel. I've found my uni/dept to be pretty relaxed about these sorts of things. After all, the plane ticket will cost pretty much the same. I often take a few days sightseeing when I go abroad for uni business. I just pay for the extra days out of my own pocket. My supervisor even said it's one of the few perks of being an academic!

I usually stay few days longer too! This is fine as long as you let your department know in advance and they confirm your trip. However I've heard there might be a limitation on the number of extra days you can stay abroad due to some insurance policies.

C

Yes it's pretty common, in fact I don't know anyone who has gone abroad for a conference and not taken at least one extra day as holiday. I stayed in the US for an extra 10 days last year after a conference, I just booked my flights with dates I needed, they will pay for a return anyway so it doesn't matter if the return is a bit later than the conference. I did check with my supervisor, but he just said he assumed I would be taking holiday as there is no point going that far and not taking advantage of it! You just pay all the fees for your extra time yourself =)

G

I have nothing useful to add, I'm just jealous of you all! I wish I'd been able to get funding for such an experience. The furthest I got is Poland! Enjoy =D

N

Yes, it's all fun and games until you find mouse poop on your hostel bed! Then you start wondering why you ever left home :P

That's probably less likely to happen in America though - have fun, Ceruse!

G

Quote From Nesrine87:
Yes, it's all fun and games until you find mouse poop on your hostel bed! Then you start wondering why you ever left home :P

That's probably less likely to happen in America though - have fun, Ceruse!

Hahaha! Oh no Nesrine I'm sorry but that did make me laugh! Where was that??!!