How long can a single volume thesis be?

T

Yeh, I know... weird question! Basically, my thesis isn't that long in terms of words... but I used double spacing because I like it, and Romans size 12 because I like it... and it is an alternative format thesis with four papers in (and each paper has a long reference list)... so my thesis is getting to be pretty long - over 200 pages and I haven't even written the discussion yet or added the main reference list at the end or the appendices. I don't want to have a two volume thesis... so I'm wondering, does anyone have any idea how many pages can fit in one volume? Also, I want it to be single-sided I think... as I like the white space :D I may have to compromise somewhere I think (might go down to 1.5 spacing)! Anyone with a printing background know how many pages can be wedged in?

B

If you have a university bindery their limits are probably on the library website somewhere, but science PhDs are rather short compared to humanities/social science, so I think you're still a long way off the cut off. Mine was 327 pages and was still one volume.

P

Mine was 280 pages and the university binders couldn't get it in one volume. I had to go to an independent printers to get it done but there were no problems with this and it was only £5 more expensive if I remember.

E

Is there a uni guide or something similar? At my uni I had to use 1.5 spacing, at least size 11 fonts, certain left and right margins (that I do not remember anymore) and it had to be singe sided.
I used1.5 spacing, calibri 11 fonts and it was single sided.
Mine was 267 pages long and it was in one volume

T

Amazing - thanks everyone - this makes me think I am going to easily fit in one volume even with my doubel spacing etc. Yes, there is a guide and it gives me options on spacing etc. It's the number of pages fitting in the volume I was concerned about - but now my fears are allayed!

K

Look at here https://homework-lab.com/study-tips/ just scroll down a bit to the topic names.

K

Look at here just scroll down a bit to the topic names.

S

Double spacing after a full stop however is wrong - there's no reason to do it. I also wouldn't be surprised if there weren't regulations around how big text should be. Size 12 might also look a bit big - mine is mostly 11 for that reason, with 1.15 spacing.

Word count however is what things usually go on. How does that look.