How not to write a PhD thesis

L
K

Well that was a depressing read! But helpful, I guess. Although it just goes to show how much contradictory advice we are fed all the time... The author talks all the way through about ensuring your thesis is very tight and working with only a carefully restricted range of material. When I voiced concerns about my own thesis being too wide in scope my supervisor said 'if you're not going to be ambitious in your PhD thesis then when are you going to be?'

Ho hum.

L

Yes I agree, Keep_Calm, but on the other hand, I think I agree with her when she says that the best PhDs are small. Even if it is an ambitious topic, I think it's still possible to be focussed and direct about it. Some of the theses I have read as examples to help me with mine are so waffly and uncertain about what they are trying to say. Too much stuff can detract from the weight of argument rather than add to it. But of course, it is a lot easier to pontificate about this than it is to do it ...

S

That is a truely terrifying article. i've got work to do...

J

Read it, it sounds like everyones worst nightmare of an examiner. How would anyone ever choose her? It appears that she is out to fail rather than pass, and really, should anyone be doing three at once?

B

It has to be said though that everyone that I've come across who got referred for major corrections, was pretty much on the sorts of grounds she says. I suspect whether it makes pleasant reading or not, it's fairly accurate.
I agree I can't think of many worse fates that to examine three PhDs quickly in succession, so you have to wonder across her frame of mind. I wonder actually how much of this overloading of examiners there is - most people want a known figure in their field of which there are a limited number, if you then subtract the ones known to be 'difficult' for one reason of another, I'd guess the potential pool does look limited. And I imagine there are certain times of year when you get a bunch of people finishing eg the autumn.

D

Whilst some of her points are valid, it should be remembered she is one person giving one opinion - speak to people who examine PhDs about what they are looking for and you'll get a whole host of conflicting views of what is acceptable and what isn't. As I remember only too well when asking about writing my own thesis...