How old were you when you started your PhD?

M

I'm getting a bit frustrated and despondent with my current lack-of-PhD-ness, and am feeling old to boot, so just out of interest, how old were all you guys when you started your PhD?

G

103. Just feel it at present.

O

S

21. And im still 21. Made me feel quite special that im quite young to be doing a PhD at first - until i realised other people saw me as TOO young and inexperienced. perhaps there's a lot to be said for starting a PhD at 103!

O

Sim, you got my utmost respect for being a PhD student at that young age. I assume you'll be max. 24 once you complete. Experience or not, that's an achievement in itself. Only Gordon Brown was younger when he completed his PhD with 21!

B

G

Gordon Brown was younger when he completed his PhD with 21.

Not really a positive as regards doing one early then.

S

cheers mate!

B

22. Matthew, do you not have an offer of a PhD?

C

23 (practically a fossil!)

F

M

No I don't Bobby. I had two last year, and haven't had one yet. Having said that, I've only applied for one so far, although am probably going to apply for another in the coming week.

B

Oh I'm sure you'll be fine. Why, how old will you be? what have you been doing in the mean time?x

K

I was 29, snuck the registration in before I hit 30

I wasn't really conscious of age though - personally I think it's not a bad thing to have afew more years behind you when doing a PhD