Hypothesis and Objectives- where to mention again?

L

I have mentioned my hypothesis and objectives in the introduction. I have two chapters addressing the objectives (which should help test the hypothesis). I also mentioned the hypothesis and the objectives in the conclusion under 'Conclusions about Research Objectives and Hypothesis'. In this subsection, I devoted like three pages to summarizes the accomplished objectives and showing that therefore the hypothesis is valid. Now I'm wondering if I need to clearly spell them out at the end of the two analyitical chapters too? Should I list the objectives one by one at the end and say that the analysis accomplished them? Or is it enough to do so in the conclusions, since the whole analysis is meant to address the objectives?

R

*Bump* Can anyone help Lania?

L

Hi Lania,

I'll tell you what I have done - mine are listed in my methodology chapter, and I will re-state them in the conclusion chapter to ascertain whether I have answered them or not. I think what you have done so far is fine - you don't need to mention them again in the analysis as you've talked about them in the conclusion. I would suggest this is probably one you need to take up with your supervisors if you can as well? Just to check that you've met their expectations?

L

Sounds reasonable. Yes, mentioned in the methodology too. Thanks!

C

I think this is something that may vary accross theses.

I mentioned my main objectives and hypotheses in the introduction, and then linked back to each of these in the general discussion saying how each of these was addressed and whether the hypothesis was supported.

My PhD consisted of one large overall project that could be broken down into three areas and these could be correlated with each other. I therefore had four experiemntal chapters, each of which had an introduction, methods, results, discussion format. I therefore had objectives and hypotheses that fitted with each of these and so included these in the chapter introduction and related back to them in the chapter discussion.

Hope that makes sense.