I'm so lazy

U

It's 15:20, I got up at 8am, had breakfast, decided to start working on PhD, instead surfed online, had lunch at 12, decided that I can't work and took a nap, decided that I would start working at 1pm, instead wasted more time, then decided that I need to go to the supermarket, instead wasted more time, decided that I will start working at 3pm, but I didn't. NOW Iwasted the entire day, have no food and did not even enjoy doing nothing.

I think I'm going crazy

H

That sounds like me, apart from the nap but I don't feel any guilt.

I

Got up at 7 today, did a bit of reading but got hungry. Had a packet of crisps (large) and a big mug of sweet tea. Came to write up some notes but checked my emails instead and then got drawn onto here again...now it's 10.15.

Thanks for your cautionary tale - looks like my day could go like yours. So I'm not going to sign off now before it does

H

oooh, I like you insomniac

T

I had high hopes for today.. set my alarm for 7 with a view for getting in at around 8 this morning.. But it didn't work.. Got up at 8:15 and made it into the lab for 9:45.. d'oh never mind.. there's always tomorrow!

J

Today I got up at 14.30 (went to bed at 1.30), did some reading, went for breakfast at 18.00 (dinner time at college) and will probably work till 2 or 3.00, it depends on my mood as I might want to work till 8.00 and end up my day with breakfast (the real one) at college. I love PhD life.

U

I know exactly what you mean. I'm doing that crazy stuff from time to time as well (but not longer than one week since longer periods of that lifestyle are usually resulting in me getting less productive and being unable to perform simple task such as going shopping for grocery or shaving).

S

Got up at 8.30, in library for 9.30, thought about work, surfed a bit, fancied nap, slept for 90 minutes (yes, in the library). Woke up, decided it was too close to lunchtime to start work, went back to surfing, went for lunch, came back more surfing. Took another 90 minute nap (dreamed about girl next door), woke up went for a coffee, went to supermarket for rations, came back, surfed some more. Decided it was too late to start work, started posting on here instead.

Contribution towards PhD today: 0.0000000000000000000000000000%

J

i worked real hard today but only cos i was demonstrating and was getting paid for it :D

J

you guys just made me feel a lot better! thanks! .

Got up at 8am, got ready to leave for uni at 9, was still home surfing at 12, that went on til 3. went to the lib to borrow a book, got back at about 6 - tried to do some ready. got really stressed out. watched a movie - its now 22.43 and am contemplating going to sleep. the staying up thing - tho it has crossed my mind - would be a bit too much for me. so... hopefully tomorrow.

C

I'm pleased to see that other people have motivational issues sometimes. I feel pleased when I get several hours of reading done in a day...

S

show off!

J

The only time when I had to work like mad was when I was writing my PhD first year report, because we needed to get 70% or above to make it to the second year. During about 1.5-2 months I worked up to 20 hours a day and tried to compensate the lack of sleep with lots of food (the eskimo approach). It was good fun and the resulting paper was kinda fine. I suppose the writing up part at the end of the PhD is gonna be the same, so I look forward to it.

C

I hadn't mean to show off Sylvester....I was just trying to say that I find it hard to work, and so when I do get a few hours of reading done I feel good *single tear*

Anyway, like other people - I work in fits and bursts around deadlines and specific tasks. It is the 'in-between' bits I find hard...

S

Judging by this thread and the one about not quitting, it really sounds like your not motivated by your PhD. I may be getting it completely wrong, and I dont like to pass judgement the way you obviously do. I obviously find it hard to get out of bed some days, but only when I feel I've got nothing to get up for.

I am not on a PhD yet, so I realise I'm in a different boat, but thats just how it seems.